IBS or Not ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Nausea, usually mild to moderate, occurs mostly during the day.

Occasional bloating in the stomach, once or twice a day.

Sometimes, a sensation as if someone is squeezing my throat, making it difficult to breathe.

Throat discomfort; took antibiotics (14-day course of Aksef) for pharyngitis.

Dizziness and muscle pain; improved after taking B12 supplements.

Circular pain spots on my back and chest; currently relieved.

Pain and bloating in the stomach.

Pain 3-4 cm beside the navel; relief after using the toilet.

Occasional burning sensation in the anus.

More discomfort when going downstairs or during active times.

Exacerbated when exposed to cold.

Sitting down and stretching my legs at home in the evening helps alleviate symptoms.

Audible stomach rumbling, mostly after dinner, occasionally during the day.

Stool changes; generally soft, occasionally a bit more solid or normal-looking, rarely diarrhea.

Changes in stool color from light brown to dark brown, noticed yesterday.

No black stool, but dark brown is present.

Unpleasant odor, similar to bleach, in the mouth especially in the mornings.

Once noticed white mucus-like substance in the stool.

Undigested food in stool, such as mushrooms, grape leaves, lettuce.

Noticed reddish particles and oil droplets in the stool.

No visible blood in the stool.

Different stool odor.

Feeling of relief after using the toilet.

Normal sleep at night.

Throat fullness in the morning.

Stomach acid comes up when attempting to burp.

Constant fatigue; feeling more tired lately.

Pain under the right rib, right-side pain around the waist and kidney area only on the right side.

Aching sensation on the right side of the hip.

Sensation of almost fainting a few times.

Four or five times blood tests, urine tests, abdominal ultrasound, and once a stool test were conducted. Everything came out normal. Despite the normal results, doctors who reviewed the findings did not request further advanced testing. In the last three months, I have visited a total of 15 different doctors and 30 hospitals. All of them informed me in the direction of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).

I need your advice.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

IBS is a cover all term which just means your gut is irritated by something you are eating. Now the hard work starts for you and that is discovering what the irritant may be. It can take a long time and may not be conclusive but you can try with the Fodmap diet, which starts with very bland food like boiled or grilled chicken and plain rice. You then introduce foods very slowly, a week at a time. Make a note of every food you consume. At some point something will give you problems and then you have to keep it out of your diet.

You could also do a food diary. Start with a very basic diet, with no spices. Also making a note of everything you eat and gradually adding food to your diet until something sparks the irritation. You do have to list absolutely everything. eg salt, pepper, spices, oils etc.

Also look at the fat content of what you are eating...high fat can give you similar problems to yours.

Dont drink any alcohol or sparkling/fizzy/carbonated drinks.

As i have said its a long struggle but worth it in the end when you find the culprit.

My "no go" food is dairy products ie cheese, milk, yoghurt etc and any food that contains these products.

Dairy products are one of the main culprits but may not be yours. Also some folks do suffer when eating products containing Gluten, but again you have to decide for yourself. No one else can do it for you...whatever is causing your bowel problem is unique to you. It may even be 2 or 3 foods, but do try figuring it out for yourself.

Undigested food may mean you eat too fast without chewing enough. try to slow down .

You could also start to take a probiotic one per day. That may help to balance the flora in your gut.

Good luck

• Posted

First of all, thank you for your response. The professor doctor I last consulted advised me to use medication for gas. I informed the doctor that I take probiotic supplements. The doctor suggested that I could stop using them after I finish the current supply. He also recommended seeing a psychiatrist, but my wife, who is pregnant, does not want me to go to psychiatry. I think she is afraid of the potential side effects of psychiatric medications during the pregnancy.

what scares me the most is the gas collected at one point in my abdomen and the pains that hit up to the kidney area.I get pain in the right groin , the right kidney and the right side of my body. however, it is said that there are no problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.