IBS or not

Posted , 3 users are following.

I know someone who states that they have IBS and they have said that they have to be carerful what they eat otherwise their IBS flares up.

I have suffered with IBS for 20 years and I have had the following symptoms:- bloating, fatigue, constipation, stomach pains, indigestion and headaches.

If this person has IBS then I have not heard them complain about any of the symptoms that I have and I used to be so bad that I had to go to bed. This person can get up early in the morning and does not have a lot of sleep. Also they are thin and have a flat stomach. How can anyone have IBS and a flat stomach

Is this person lying or telling the truth?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Garooba

You are the first person I have met on this site who has identical symptoms to mine.

I really don't know whether this person has i,b.s or not. With I.b.s. there is no one size fits all. What one person can do another cannot, and what one person can eat another can't

If they are naturally thin and has learned which foods they can safely eat and sticks to them religiously, then yes they can go for a very long time without a flare up and if he/she is naturally thin then unless there is a flare up, the stomach will stay flat.

I would be slow to judge her because we don't really know. I just wish you and I were as lucky.

Regards

• Posted

I agree with you about being unlucky. The person I know is very lucky if they are thin and do not suffer from tirednesss
  • Posted

IBS is different for everyone.  My brother went to bed with his IBS whereas I can keep going 24/7 regardless of a flare up.  I am hyper energetic with Aspergers and go to bed late.  My brother has a flat stomach and didn’t bloat with IBS. His trigger was potato.  My stomach is fatter because of stretched muscle due to minor weight gain as a teenager.  I am very thin everywhere else.  I have no food triggers. Stress sets mine off.  I don’t bloat either. 
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. I wish I had more energy and  was 2 stone lighter but we all cannot be perfect. Yes I get very stressed too
    • Posted

Hello I have been through for over 2 years so no chance of my IBS being in remission
    • Posted

Yes i have tried antispasmodics but I am on anti-depressants as I found they were better. I have not tried the low fodmap diet. I did look at it but it was confusing, so did not bother
    • Posted

A dietician will help you with the low fodmap diet if you want to try it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.