IBS or SIBO? please help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone, so i have recently been diagnosed with IBS after describing my symptoms to my doctor, done a blood test and had an abdominal echography. The problem is, i have constant abdominal discomfort sometimes it goes aways but comes back quicky after, it's not really painful just uncomfortable, as of my bowel mouvements , i do get constipated from time to time. 

My problem is, i was reading multiple articles about the benefits of taking probiotics to ease IBS symptoms but then i stumbled upon this one article that talks about SIBO and it basically said that IBS isn't a real thing, it's just a symptom of SIBO and it's really hard to cure it might take years will proper medication, and now i'm stressed, i don't know what to think/ believe, so i have a few questions

-Are probiotics really helpful for IBS?

-Do IBS symtoms get worse with time?

-Have any of you got tested for SIBO and it came out negative? (if you have IBS)

-Is it true that probiotics are bad for SIBO?

-Does it really take over a year to cure SIBO?

-Is IBS really just a symptom?

i'm sorry if i'm asking too many questions i'm just really confused. The reason why i think i have SIBO is that 2 months ago i have been really hangover and kept throwing up a lot and couldn't eat at all, i read that one of the causes of SIBO is change in the stomach pH and alcohol as bad bacteria feed on it.

?I will go back to my doctor soon to get more tests done, i just want to ease my mind in the mean time

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

IBS and SIBO are two different conditions.  IBS is real and has no cure; it can only be managed.  It will come and go in periods of flare ups and remission.   Sometimes it will feel worse but other times better. Some find probiotics help, but everyone is different. Try an antispasmodic for the pain and try a food diary or the Low Fodmap diet if you are having any food problems.  

I would see your doctor if you have further questions because articles may confuse you more and will not give you a diagnosis. Only a doctor can do that.  If all your tests have been negative, I wiuld accept your IBS diagnosis and leave it at that.  The symptoms you describe sound like IBS.  I accepted my IBS diagnosis, and my doubts and symptoms got so much better.

• Posted

I have a hard time finding a good doctor who's willing to give me a proper diagnosis, as long as a haven't had more tests done, i will remain restless especially after reading online that many people who have IBS got tested positive for SIBO.

The problem with SIBO is that it is said to damage the stomach lining if left untreated for a long time, it degrades the health in general whereas IBS does not.

• Posted

We have so much information at our fingertips. I know you are afraid, but what you read, and with what your Dr saw from real test results, perhaps you can feel safe following his instructions, but call his office and schedule a follow up. Your Dr went to school to be able to treat you. And it sounds Like he cares enough that he ordered labs on you, to diagnose you, accurately. IBS is real. Follow your regimen, and see if it improves. Won't hurt anything.

• Posted

Hi Nina sorry i do not want to sound stupid but since i have been on this forum a lot of people say what they have by abbreviation , if you have the problem you know what they are talking about, yes who ever said there is no such thing as ibs has not suffered from, it, and like what sharon said it is real, but i do not know what SIBO, stands for, so i do not know if you have this, so if you get back to me  and let me know then maybe i can help, if what sharon says is true and it sounds like she is right and you do have ibs,do not be scared when you hear there is no cure, get the facts first, i have had it for years and though it was very painful at first ,that was because i did not know what was happening to me, it did take a while to manage it,i am not going to lie to you, but over the years i know exactly what to do do to keep it under control, but do not get me wrong what works for one does not always work for another, but for me stress is a big factor the more i get worked up the more my ibs goes through the roof, and food can be a big factor ,but i found trying to work out what ones was impossible so i colofac 20 minutes before a meal a a no problem, i tried the low fodmap diet too complicated, there are otherthings but you will find stuff out yourself ,diary products can , but i find is boiled water let it cool down to drink have quite a few glasses as ibs is trapped wind , and this makes you pass it, great , but stay away from friends and family lol, and a lovely lady in the nail bar told me apple cider vinegar , 2 tea spoons in a cup add warm water , its amazing great for the digestive system, well sorry to go on but i hope i have helped you and others with ibs and take care, 
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to answer, SIBO is small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, some studies show that 80% of people who have IBS have SIBO as well (IBS symptoms are caused by SIBO), it's often treated by antibiotics but it doesn't work most of time, chances for a repalse are high. I freaked out because i read that SIBO can be harmful for your health, it causes nutritional deficiencies and it can domage the stomach. There are no tests for it where i live therefore i got a little nervous lol 

I was planning on taking prebiotics as i heard many good reviews about them, but then i got scared because i read that some people felt way worse after taking them. There are many mixed reviews and i got really confused. I'm scared of taking something that can potentially make me feel worse especially since my IBS isn't very painful, it's pretty manageable.

I'm currently following the low FODMAP diet and i'm seeing a big improvement in my abdominal cramps. Once i start feeling better, i'll talk to my GI about probiotics and other alternatives to help manage my symptoms better.

• Posted

Hi Nina thank you for getting back to me, you seem to be on top of things, and now you are likely to believe it is ibs, and i put my hands together that you are following that diet , with all my other illnesses it was too much for me to handle, so good luck to you and i hope you improve every day and wish you the best of health for the future
    • Posted

Have you noticed your IBS symptoms worsening over the years? Something like fatigue, vitamin deficiencies...
    • Posted

That is a very hard question to answer only because your lifestyle habits can change and things in your life can change, also i hope not but traumas can happen and that is another factor , all that relate to making ibs less painful or more painful, and your diet, and not so much your sleep but but stress and anxiety big factor, so if you look after yourself and that is not easy but can be achieved you will manage it, like i said, i have had it since 21 i am 54 now, i do suffer every day with it that is because i have major other issues, but i know how to handle it and calm it and it is a part of my life and its fine, you will be ok 
  • Posted

Hi nina i see you tried to send a message and it did not get through i am wondering what you said that made them moderate it, , normally they do this if they have reason that you may harm yourself, or if you will offend the other person, i can not imagine you have done this, if this message is important you can private message me and i will get back to you , god bless jaybabes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.