IBS or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I finally went to see my doctor after a long time dealing with severe bloating and abdominal cramps.

It started on and off with a stabbing pain in lower right side of abdomen. When I saw the doctor, he said it cant be much more than IBS or Gall stones so prescribed me with mebeverine.

I took the tablet 20 minutes before food as indicated but immediately was doubled over with cramps I have never experienced before and a sudden urge to go to the toilet.

I tried them for 3 days but eventually it got too much so I stopped. I have tried taking them with food and do not get the same cramps but there is jno change to my bloated abdomen or regular pains I was supposed to be being treated for.

I really dont know if it is IBS or something else, especially when IBS medication is making me worse. I have noticed that when I eat anything with wheat in it that my stomach bloats till I look 6 months pregnant. If I avoid wheat for 2 days it eventually goes down. I am not massively over weight but a little and really struggle loosing any. Getting motivated to exercise is difficult as I constantly feel mentally drained after work.

Should I be asking my doctor to look at other possible causes or continue as I am

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi jenny

i would go back to the doctors .it could be you have a wheat intolerants 

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

speaking as someone who is wheat intolerant (as are a lot of my family) I think you're right to listen to your body. doctors don't know what causes IBS so they only treat it with drugs. At first I took medication but after a while I realised I could avoid attacks by eliminating certain foods. If you have  a problem with wheat you may have a problem with other foods such as dairy. look up an elimination diet to see how you can pinpoint the food that irritates you. 

• Posted

Also try cutting out dairy, for me it's lactose, wheat and fructose xx
  • Posted

Thank you everyone, I have yet another appointment a week tomorrow so will certainly try these in the meantime and can hopefully give feedback to the doctors
  • Posted

Hi jen, start a food diary to eliminate foods that bother you. Then you avoid those foods . Use a digestive enzyme each time you eat and also probiotics to help your gut flora. Always drink room temp water and use little or no sugar in your diet. When you are bloating also , you can put a hot pak on the area this also helps to move the gas and bloating therefore decreasing the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.