IBS or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone. For the past few years now, I've been having some knagging stomach issues. I'll start off by listing some of the symptoms I've been having:

-Cramping (Occurs very often, sometimes an hour after eating and is way worse if I don't get much sleep the night before. If I dont get much sleep, I will cramp all day even after having a bowel movement until I go to sleep that next night.)

-Pulse in stomach (I can visibly see a pulse in my abdomen, around my belly button. It's made worse if I run or do any other form of activity. After I run, the pulse will be so strong that it shakes my entire body. I've heard some scary things about this, such as Aortic Aneurysm and stuff. There's no buldge or at least not a visible one. I am pretty thin but my friends who are even skinnier than me can't see their pulse in their abdomen.)

-Tender spot left of belly button (I have this very dull pain right on the left of my belly button but only if I press there. It very rarely hurts on it's own unless im pressing down on it.)

-Bloating and fullness (Sometimes after I eat, I will feel very full and bloated.)

-Nervousness (I get very nervous when I start cramping. I'm always afraid I wont make it to a bathroom.)

-Diarrhea (Sometimes will last for a whole day or 2 when I'm cramping. A lot of times has a yellowish color to it. Spicy food makes this 1000 times worse to the point where I can't even eat one bite of anything spicy.)

Those are the symptoms that concern me the most. I've been to the doctor twice for this but that was 4 years ago. I'm 20 now and I'm planning on going back probably next week. I'm pretty thin and I'm not in the best shape. I do eat a lot of fast food because it's the quickest on lunch breaks. I'm also a very fast eater, I always feel like I'm in a hurry when I'm eating. All of this is starting to take a toll on me so I decided so find somewhere I could ask for help and this is the first place I found. I've been getting terrible anxiety over all of this and it just makes it that much worse. Does anyone else deal with this kind of stuff? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dex

I have been diagnosed with IBS and I get all the symptoms you mentioned. My IBS causes so much pain that I have no choice but to lie down ride the pains. Do you bloat randomly, or is it just after eating? Any bleeding when you go to the toilet?

I am a very anxious person, and even now wonder if the doctors may have missed something, but I've had loads of tests and examinations and they've always been clear / normal. Unfortunately, the only way to rule out other things is to see the doctor and get them to investigate further. Ultrasound and CT scans can be done, as well as colonoscopy, endoscopy, blood and stool testing, you will need some, if not all of these done.

Judging by what you have said, I would recommend changing your diet. Cut out processed and fast food, sugary and spicy foods too, cut out caffeine, alcohol and fizzy drinks as well. You have to think back to basics, water to drink, fresh fruit and vegetables (although some people, myself included, find a lot of fruits and veggies hard to stomach), lean meat (white meat preferrable, I can't eat pork due to the fattiness of it, but bacon with rind and fat cut off is fine). It is more trial and error as far as food is concerned, what is good for you, might not be for another IBS sufferer. When I'm at my worst, I go back to a rice diet, which involves eating a lot of plain white boiled rice (I add a rasher or two of sliced, smoked back bacon to give it some taste). I have porridge for breakfast, as eating rice for breakfast doesn't seem right. If I do this for a couple of days I find my symptoms get a lot better.

However, I do think you need to have further investigation done so get yourself into the docs and get them onto it asap, it's the only way to be sure.

Take care and all the best!

• Posted

Hi dex, you will have to ditch the fast food. I am afraid you will have to prepare yourself and organise what you are going to eat for the whole day. It is a fair bit of work but you have to do your research on food. You are probably allergic to some things in pre done food like raising agents etc. Start at the basics and go from there. If you keep eating the way you are doing now you will only worry yourself. Good luck 🍀
  • Posted

Did your doctor suggest IBS on your first two visits?  I have IBS and get stomach pain that moves all over my stomach and sometimes affects my left side, right, middle or both.   I get constipation and I have had loose stools.  Stress can bring on flare ups.  I don't get bloating or food intolerance.   I have had twitiching inside my stomach that feels like a mouse running about inside me.  I don't know if this I what you describe as a pulse.

I would cut out fast food and anything spicy.  Try to eat slowly and chew your food well.  Some people get pain after eating with IBS.  Everyone gets different symptoms and reacts to treatment differently. Anxiety goes with IBS.

I had an ultrasound, stool samples taken, a urine test and a celiac test,  All were negative.  When everything comes back clear, IBS can be diagnosed. I saw eight doctors over a period of three and a half months before my diagnosis.

• Posted

Dex watch your sugar intake , different sugars in anything can play me up next day , not that I get stomach ache etc ,but does play my bowel up , I then take an Imodium to help settle it ,I have food allergies since mine began ,to which it took me to get private bloods done here in UK ,well worth the cost in my view . Now I now know what to stay clear from ,well as best I can . Sugars tend to increase my anxiety ,noticed this since allergies began 10 yrs ago and the IBS start up . I tend to take on more water than what my daily water intake is . Flush all system out . Sugars also plays my tinnitus up a lot. Something else I've noticed . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.