IBS or something more concerning?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I (26 year old female) have been having stomach issues for a while. I went to the gastro dr for nausea/stomach pain and they did an endoscopy and a CT scan. They did find an ulcer but that should have healed by now. Mostly I'm just concerned about the latest stomach/bowel issues. Mostly it's a feeling of fullness at the rectum (like I haven't passed a stool all the way), and thin stools. Sometimes everything comes and goes but I'm just wondering if it could be IBS or something serious like cancer.

At first my dr didn't want to do a colonoscopy, then waited until my insurance lapsed and then wanted to do one, but I had to decline because I can't afford to pay out of pocket for the very expensive procedure. Just wondering if anyone else had something similar and if I should be concerned about it. No blood in stool (none visible anyway), occasional gas/bloating, etc.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

always a common worry for an IBS sufferer....been where you are...im 36 and still after 20 years...gives me panic to see changes in my stool...they change from small bits to thin to fat....colours change....we change our bowel movements based more on ow and what we eat more than a disease and sounds like you have had plenty kf tests done...remember...cancer in younger adults is very rare...it can happen so good you have had it checked but hollywood and google trigger our worries...ots more dramatic to have a younger adult have cancer...but the reality is its rare...and its almost always something less sinister...never stops us worrying but sometimes being logical and realising its rare and you have had some tests come back clear should give you some reassurance also remember....fibre is your friend...apples, pears, oats, all these things daily can help bulk up your stool....with plenty of water...i moved o a higher fibre diet and my stools went larger than ive had for some time

• Posted

I've had similar worries recently after coming down with a bug in the summer that caused a feeling of clammy-ness, nausea, stomach discomfort, diarrhoea. I got this thing twice and then after foolishly consuming a bottle of wine one evening, and experiencing similar symptoms, I decided to have a FIT test (a stool sample test) done (basically your GP gives you this kit and you send it off and the results are sent back to the GP) to test for 'occult blood', i.e. blood that is hidden in the stool by virtue of being present in very small qualities. The results came back normal, i.e. no occult blood, so therefore almost certainly no bowel cancer. I am 55. It's certainly worth doing something like this if bowel cancer is really worrying you, as it was me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.