IBS or something more sinister?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 63 year old female and over the last 6 months or so have been getting a lot of constipation, a nauseous feeling that seems to originate from just beneath the rib cage in the middle. Sometimes it feels like this slight nauseous feeling goes right up to my throat. When the symptoms are present I feel very tired, have no energy and feel as if I am just about functioning.

I used to get these symptons maybe once every other month but lately they have been increasing and I now get them for days at a time followed by days of feeling ok.

I eat normally and havent lost weight.

I have visited my GP who has given me Mebverine tablets to try but the literature he gave me to read says further investigation is needed for these type of symptoms over age 60 as IBS does not normally begin at my age. One of the tests is for ovarian cancer.

Do you think I should push for further investigation as the GP thinks it is IBS?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

this is true ,as ibs does start around 30/35 years ,and ibs happens more with women than men,and symptoms with ibs can also be for other things

• Posted

this is true ,as ibs does start around 30/35 years ,and ibs happens more with women than men,and symptoms with ibs can also be for other things

• Posted

IBS can start as a child or in your teens as well. My brother got it as a teenager.

• Posted

IBS is so unpredictable and that makes it difficult to diagnose and treat.

• Posted

Follow the advice your doctor gives you and try the Mebeverine. to see whether they work for you. However, a lot of people find it upsets their stomachs more. I got worsening constipation and horrendous indigestion from them.IBS can strike at any age. I got it at 43. Ask your doctor if you need tests; he won't order tests if he is sure of his diagnosis. My doctors did tests because they couldn't diagnose me and then said they should be repeated because they were inconclusive. I asked another doctor who told me I didn't need to redo the tests because he was confident I had IBS because my symptoms were no better or worse in three and a half months and I had developed no new symptoms. It really depends on your doctor.

However, if you are worried, push for tests.

• Posted

I know your doctor tried something, but go back and insist they do something else quickly. This is just wrong.

• Posted

Hi, in my early thirties I was suffering with upset stomach, abdominal pains and a similar sickness feeling as you've described. Not knowing what was wrong set me off into having panic attacks! The doctor reckoned it was IBS aggravated by anxiety. I'd always had a "nervous" stomach since I was young but this got much worse after a very stressful year of deaths in the family, changing jobs and then moving home. I ended up spending the next few months going between medication for IBS and acid reflux which could be what's causing the feelings you describe. I was then on Mebeverine for about 18 months after that but had to be very careful about eating a certain time before taking the tablets otherwise they made me feel very strange!

• Posted

Thank you to all who have replied and told me your experiences. I've only been given a month's worth of mebverine so I will go back to the doctor after that as I still a bit concerned that other tests may need to be done to rule out another cause other than IBS. My worry is getting it at my age as I dont know anyone else who did so still hoping it's nothing serious.

• Posted

Don't worry about other people's experiences with IBS because everyone experiences it differently and may not be the same as yours. The time of onset of IBS is also different for everyone. If you have IBS, your symptoms will be individual to you, so concentrate on your own IBS. I tried to compare my IBS symptoms with my brother's IBS which was different from mine. This confused me more and worsened my anxiety. Keep as calm as possible because any amount stress or anxiety will heighten your IBS.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I will try not to worry and I know IBS is not pleasant as my partner has cronic IBS but a bit of me is hoping it is IBS and not something more serious.

• Posted

IBS is treatable and manageable; that's the good news and it is a non threatening diagnosis

• Posted

I'm not sure you are just getting it now. you said you had some of these symptoms before just not as consistent. so i bet you've had ibs for awhile but never received a diagnosis. lots of things can flare up ibs and make it last longer. if you feel something isn't right though then you know you body best and should get more tests if it will make you feel better.

• Posted

Hello Jank,

I am 70 and have recently gone through similar symptoms, except my belly discomfort was lower. I had the constant feeling of food coming up and when I burped I felt better.

Have you had a colonoscopy? I just went to my NP, and she said that is a typical test for these problems, but I had one a year ago so didn't need one.

There are blood tests for ovarian cancer - I had one years ago. It was called Ca 125 and mine was abnormal. I had a complete hysterectomy and there was no cancer. This test can be wrong. Just FYI.

Your symptoms sound more like IBS, but if you are not comfortable, maybe you should ask for tests. But, I will remind you that IBS is stress related, and if you're stressed about your symptoms, of course you will feel worst. I know this for a fact. 😕

Best wishes, and keep us posted!

Peggy

• Posted

Hi again all

I havent had any other tests yet. As I was getting these sypmtoms more often then that was when I decided to go to the GP last week. Some days I feel quite good with just a small niggling feeling in the stomach but nonetheless it is still there so I will go back to the GP when I have finished the mebverine in a month. Then I will ask that the tests are done to eliminate other causes and I will let you know how I get on. Very best wishes to you all and thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.