IBS pain worse than ever

Posted , 13 users are following.

Looking for some guidance and reassurance here. Short background: had colonoscopy 11 years ago (at 29) and endoscopy 5 years ago for abdominal pain- nothing really found. Splenic flexure issues speculated with colonoscopy, as well as, light gastric inflammation with endoscopy. Eventually found issues with gallbladder and had it removed. Fast forward about six years later. Started having occasional LUQ pain with feeling of “something” protruding or out of place under my rib on the left side (but nothing there), as well as, upper back pain under my bra strap (like a bad muscle strain...but not). A couple times a year, I’d have episodes of this discomfort that would last less than a week. I didn’t notice bowel changes, but I’ve always had constipation issues throughout my life anyway so I’m not sure I would have put the two together. I was given an informal diagnosis of IBS at the time by my PCP. Over the last few years, the protrusion feeling under my left ribs has gotten worse, and I still have occasional pain episodes, but still nothing to feel on an exam. Had an abdominal CT 1 yr ago- completely normal. About a week ago, I started to have increased pain in the same areas on my left side, as well as, my left flank. The pain would change from a sharp pain to a burning feeling which would change location from front to back randomly throughout the day. I would also wake up with feelings of mild gastritis which sometimes subsides and sometimes doesn’t. Pain will also move from front to back with this, dependent on whether I’m laying on stomach or back. Pain seems to get a little better after eating, but only upper abdomen and it’s short lived. Accompanied symptoms: abdominal tenderness, belching, heartburn, difficulty getting in deep breath, gas pains, indigestion, and urinary frequency/ discomfort. After a couple of days of that, the lower left quadrant discomfort  started. The pain would radiate from the previously mentioned areas to the left lower quadrant just above my hip bone and then turn into intestinal cramps lower in the pelvis which would then result in either very loose stools or diarrhea. This will only happen 1-2 times a day. As a side note, I have noticed my BMs changing over the last 6 -8 months where they are loose most of the time and they are always the same Gold yellow color...regardless of what I eat. I just assumed it was my supplements and coffee I was taking (I have since stopped- wasn’t it). Anyway, long story short, pain was better yesterday (minimal- just abdominal tenderness), but then suddenly went back to pain today along with this feeling of a bruised rib on my left lower rib on my left flank. Slightly on the right, but more so on the left. Gastritis feeling has stayed with me today along with belching and gas. Going on 7 days now. Physician ordered a CT...waiting on insurance auth. Anyone had symptoms like this with IBS? Do attacks typically last this long? How long can they go?  I’m wondering if it started out as mild gastritis ...or possibly an ulcer and then flared IBS symptoms. At a loss...and so uncomfortable. 😣

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If it helps many of the symptoms you have Ibe suffered. I was diagnosed stress related IBS last year after have really bad symptoms constantly 24/7 for over a year.

Had every test going and came back normal. Finally after a Colonoscpy (Normal) had official diagnostic of IBS.

Symptoms reduced to mother more or less overnight. Still have issues a little now and again but I know hat it is and I get on with life not letting it beat me up inside. On a side note when I do get issues I take Colpromine (Peppermint Oil Capsules )

• Posted

Thank you Sloganlogo! I appreciate your response! It helps my anxiety. 😁 

I have tried Peppermint capsules and they seem to help. The only draw back is the after effect of the oils during a BM. 🤯 I should probably just suck it up and take the capsules. Thank you again for your response. It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one out there. I have pretty much convinced myself on several occasions I have a tumor somewhere and I’m dying. I’m sure everyone can relate, as the pain and odd feelings can be so life altering. 

• Posted

You're clearly describing ibs type symptoms. A ct luckily is quick - very just don't eat anything an hour before or drink anything either unless you're told to which happened to me. Good luck you need that confirmation as to what it is.

• Posted

Thank you sam18386! I highly appreciate the reassurance more than you know. I’ve had all kinds of terrible thoughts running through my head with this!
  • Posted

Sounds like IBS.  My first IBS flare up lasted three and a half months. Flare ups can last hours, days weeks or months. Pain will typically come and go, move about and will be accompanied by change of bowel habit. Heartburn, gas,urinary frequency and hip pain are all symptoms.

I have always had constipation even before IBS but when the constipation kept coming back along with stomach pain, I realised it wasn’t just a random constipation flare up.

• Posted

Thank you pippa58442! I think the length it has lasted makes me fear the worst! Your post puts my mind at ease! 😊 Did yours seem to get better at night when you were laying down? It doesn’t go away completely, but it seems to lessen it to where I can at least get some sleep. Then it seems to “restart” when I get up and move around in the morning. I had someone suggest fasting to me and another suggested smoothies for a few days to calm the bowel. Have you heard of this or done it?

• Posted

When my IBS started, my pain got worse at night and woke me up.  It was painful to lie down.  My doctor told me that finding it painful to lie down is part of IBS.  After my diagnosis, my pain vastly improved and no longer wakes me up.  I now have come and go pain and long remissions.  Initially I had daily, constant pain because I was stressing about not getting a diagnosis.

Diet has never been a problem with my IBS so I have never fasted or tried smoothies.  My IBS was exclusively stress related and continues to be so.  I have heard that some people find fasting or liquid foods such as smoothies helpful.  You could also  try the Low Fodmap diet with the help of a dietician or try a food diary.

• Posted

Thank you Pippa! I’m going to check out the FODMAP diet ASAP!
  • Posted

A lot of what  you describe is what I suffer from too. In fact I'm still dealing with a flare. I honestly think stress just irritates these nerves to the point where these issues happen. My bowels have normalized for the most part, but this pain I get on and off on the left is the toughie. It moves around and occasionally gets up under my ribs. 

I've had a Ct scan, full bloodwork, etc. I've seen my regular GI doc and a second one well recommended to me, as a second opinion. Neither of them seem overly concerned. My last colonoscopy was in 2015 and it came out clear.  My IBS meds seem to help somewhat but not 100%.  Trying not to overdo Tylenol.

• Posted

Right now I'm on Dicyclomine hydroc. Not sure if it's making a difference.

• Posted

Hello charcey97,

I came upon this forum because i am also having the exact symptoms as you... i, too just had a ct done yesterday but have not gotten my results yet. I wanted to follow up to find out if you found what the issue going on with you is, mine has been going on for about a week now and its making me go crazy! Im glad i found someone else describing the exact same symptoms, i notice mine will originate in the LUQ around into back/flank and other times go up into the left shoulder blade... then other times it will go down into left hip. I hope your condition has gotten better.

• Posted

Hi Kaylee! I’m sorry it took 25 days before my response! I never got a notification. ☹️

My CT showed mild inflammation which was chalked up to IBS. It resolved shortly after my CT (literally within days), but of course, it seems I’m having another flare up due to stress. So uncomfortable. I hope you were able to find some answers for yourself and I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. I know how comforting it can be to have someone with similar symptoms to talk to during life’s scariest moments. 

• Posted

Hi, just joining in because I have exactly what all of you have, and I'm getting very concerned. I feel it's IBS and my mind is wandering and thinking worse and therefore I'm in pain all the time. After reading these post, I already feel better. I had a very tough time yesterday with pain, but my Dr says my stool looks good and I have an appt tomorrow in his office. When you test results came back and all was good and your symptoms went away, is this a mental thing you think? I keep pushing my mind into something bad and I had IBS really bad about 10 years ago, but right now my stress levels are higher than ever. Thank you for this posting, it's making me feel better. I will keep you posted on what my Dr says and does.

• Posted

Hi nukefastball,

My problem turned out to be gastritis. I am still having problems after 2 months but my dr told me that the lining of the stomach can take awhile to heal. I had a CT scan and was normal and so i had to have a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy and the gastritis was found with upper endoscopy. I have been taking dexilant 60mg daily and it has been helping alot. I would say i am about 80 percent better. Also, high stress levels can cause gastritis to feel worse and especially if you have anxiety like me. My dr also gave me elavil for my anxiety and stomach, said it will help IBS, anxiety, nerve sensitivity in my actual stomach where my gastritis is and any headaches from stress. If you have gastritis, the way you can tell is by having pain esp after eating anything spicy or carbonated beverages and any caffeine like coffee. Coffee gave me shooting pains into my back when it hit my stomach. I hope this helps and hope you are able to find out what's causing your pain also.

• Posted

Charcey

How have you been? Your symptoms sound very similar to mine so I am wondering how you are doing now. When you had burning pain was it in your stomach and radiated to back?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.