IBS/Perimenopause? I am going crazy please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi this is Jennifer, i am 49 and have two children.. I started suffering from IBS over 10 years ago by my GP.  I was put on Dicyclomine (Bentyl) horrible drug.  I suffer from D and at times Constipation.  Cramps and nausea after BM's, sometimes I go 5 to 6 times a day.  Some days can barely go once.  Now my Period's come late or early, heavy or light..I have read the 66 symptoms of Peri and have compared my symptoms to other ladies I know.  Including my own sister.  Joint pain, headaches, fatigue, mood swings, depression, anxiety, bloating.  Now, my IBS seems to be getting worse.  Intermittent pains all over my abdomen, especially the right side.  Twinges, terrible gas and bloating.  Back pain..it's endless.  I have had two colonoscopies, and two endoscopies.  Blood tests, pelvic sonograms.  The doctors just say IBS watch what you eat and keep your stress down. OK.  I just really need to know if there is any help out there.  The only thing that has ever helped is Vicodin.  Doctors will not give it to you unless you are almost dead or had surgery.  I tell them, not everyone gets addicted to everything!! Someone please help me out...

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have IBS too with the same symptoms. Not quite as bad as you though. Ask the doctor if you can try Levsin. I take the generic. Works wonders for me and works immediately. Although I have found that it's best to stay ahead and take it before problems start. Worth a try. Good luck.
    • Posted

Oh, and I took Bentyl too. Levsin is much better.
  • Posted

IBS can certainly flare up in peri menopause, try to avoid insoluble fibre and only eat soluble fibre, this simple change helped me a lot.
  • Posted

Have you been tested for helicobacter pylori?  After testing, not before as it suppresses the problem and gives a neg result, KEFIR is very good - you may have to make it yourself.  Also, take some very good probiotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.