IBS - Query

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been diagnosed with IBS, and put on Mebervine three times daily. However, these seem to be making my IBS related symptoms worse. However, I have noticed of late I am producing hell of a lot more wind, stomach upset complaints and a change in bowel movements.

I have had routine bloods that ruled other things out such as Cealiac disease. I had an abnormality in the number of Enzymes in the liver whatever that means.. Need to bloods redone in 4 weeks which is soon.

Also, I have a feeling of pressure under my rib cage where I feel as though there is a blockage, and I get a sensation where cold drinks etc can pass this blockage - Just a feeling, haven't discussed with Dr.

I also keep belching and it feels as though acid is travelling all the way up from my abdo to my mouth, with one burp.

Are all these related, and is Mebeverine doing the trick? Stick with them or back to GP?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi steve

my ibs symptoms were worse until I did a test called the York test. It's a test that tests for food allergies and it told me that Ihad a yeast allergy, since the test results I have not eaten bread and my symptoms have eased a lot. Food allergies can be linked to ibs

• Posted

Hi,

Who authorises the 'York Test'.. I am just concerned with the other symptons - Maybe something else like a Hiatus Hernia.

My Mum, Dad, Nan, Auntie all suffer with Acid problems and are on relevent medication to provent indegestion.

• Posted

Hi steve

the York test is a private test and cost about £300 which for me was worth it as it told me I had a yeast allergy. I used to get acid reflux but haven't  had it since I stoped having bread, I used to get terrible stomach cramps which I would say have 90% stopped and my toilet habits have also improved. The other week I tried buscopan which helped me fill good but they gave me headaches

• Posted

Mebrevine is good for stopping cramps and smoothing out the stomach spasms as it is an anti spasmodic. But it is a false fix, it doesnt treat the IBS but mask it. I found mebrevine to irritate my bladder, make me urinate more and also seemed to make my prostrate irritated. On discontinuing mebrevine these symptoms stopped.

IBS does give you all the symptoms you describe. I used to get awful reflux and foaming saliva. IBS does not seem to be food dependant because it remains whatever you eat or drink, even the suggested good foods, even water can trigger it.

Firstly you need to repair the gut lining and then try to balance the gut with good bacteria because I believe it is an auto immune problem within the gut.

Caffeine and alcohol should be avoided if you have IBS. Avoid acetic acid products or cabonated drinks and simple sugars like dextrose or sucrose.

Avoid anything chemical such as chlorine, hair dyes, flouride, bacterial cleaners, toothpastes, shampoos containing Sodium Laurel Sulphate.

Eat whole foods, meats, veg, brown rice, fish and avoid cheap packet foods, microwave foods, tins of food kept stored on shelves. Try Soy milk or Walnut milk as an alternative to cows milk. See how you feel cutting out all the cheap foods because they can help lesson the symptoms until you get the gut healed. Usually antibiotics or infection are the cause of the gut trouble in IBS.

• Posted

Thanks for your message..

I've tried to get in the Dr but to no avail. I have noticed I have recently been getting out of bed at night to urinate - something I don't normally have to do (but they did think kidney stones, but now changed to IBS). I don't think I get prostate irritation but sometimes when I ejaculate I have a dull ache. I have noticed that my urine has become quite milky particularly at the end of the stream, the dr wanted me tested for Chlamydia but I haven't had unprotected sex. 

I'm just fed up of the stomach upset and acid sensation when I burp. Getting me down now. 

Thanks all

• Posted

I've seen the Dr today who has taken me off Mebeverine. He seems to think the extra problems I've been having are due to either a Hiatus Hernia or stomach ulcer but doubts the latter as I'm young.  He's prescribed me Lansoprazole and told me to see how I get on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.