Ibs?? Should symptoms get better? Also back pain!

Posted , 2 users are following.

It looks like I have ibs. I have constipation, never feel like I empty my bowels when I go to the toilet, abdominal pain and bloating. Was prescribed tablets for pain and cramping and I'm taking a stole softener. I'm worried though as I don't seem much better been like this for 5weeks. Should I go back to gp? Also I have pain in my lower back when I mentioned this to doctor he said it won't be related to the ibs and must just be period pains! I've had periods for 15years so think I would know if fit was that. I don't know if my sore back relates or if I could have some thing else wrong! Very worried about it and I know worry and ibs are a bad combination! Any advice or to hear from those in a similar position would help. Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Went to doctor today. She said the inflammation in my bowel may well be giving me back pain as I am very slim. Symptoms are getting better finally, was given fybogel now too.

Just in case anyone is reading but not posting!

• Posted

Hi I have suffered ibs for about 15 years now, with regard to your back pains this I found after some research can be caused by proteins from milk and other dairy products. The proteins cross other from the gut into the blood and then cause problems such as back pain dia and sometimes headaches. Are you lactose intolerant in other words does milk etc give you dia and bad cramps as this may give you indication as to what might be causing your backpain. Ibs is a complicated complaint as you will discover on this and other forums and there is no direct easy solution, best advice is to calmly start to find which are the trigger foods and slowly elimante or restrict them from your everyday diet, it is a bit of a slow ordeal but can help in a lot in the long run.
  • Posted

Hi mike, thank you for your response. I've never had diahorea before so thought food intolerances were mainly related to that rather than constipation but might be something to consider. I do have quite a lot of dairy in my diet and I suffer from headaches.
  • Posted

Hi again the medication you have been given for the pain and cramps does it include pain killers, I assume you know that pain killers long term can cause constpation along with things like too much calcium, people who take too much added calcium can end up with constipation. By the way you can get sympatic pains around the body so the idea that inflammed bowl giving back pain is a possibilty. As an example I have had an infected gall bladder and this caused immense pain in my right shoulder because the pain signals use common paths and that's why they can produce pain in other parts of the body.Also you say you are slim are you eating your approx daily calories or do skimp on food?

• Posted

Hi, yes I eat plenty my sister is a dietitian so I did a food diary and she thinks it looks well balanced enough. It's reassuring that the back pain could be related. Didn't know that about pain killers and constipation so thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.