IBS/SIBO diet , antibiotics, probiotics help please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Diagnosed with Diverticulitis in Feb 2018, developed abscess,anxiety and panic attacks. Lost 40 lbs. After many stool tests,blood work, Cat Scans, Endoscopy and colonoscopy. Final diagnosis after 5 months of dealing with this is Severe Diverticulosis (3 spots) in sigmoid. Diverticulitis induced IBS and SIBO. Going to start on antibiotics Monday. So freaking worried about going back on antibiotics and a new diet. Anyone else dealing with IBS or SIBO? Any advice or suggestions on supplements, diet, probiotics. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What is SIBO?
    • Posted

Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth is SIBO 

IBS is Irritable Bowel syndrome 

they are alike in many ways kinda go hand in hand with each other and can be brought on with Diverticulitis 

• Posted

Anxiety makes diverticulitis worse try and relax I know that’s hard to do.

I just lost 18” of colon because of diverticulitis. Really 3 spots is not that bad . I don’t know much about ibs.

But I was eating fish and chicken. Probiotics are great try those and hopefully you’ll recover and be fine.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you , I have learned mindfulness, meditation, breathing and some yoga. And I take Xanax, I walk a lot when I can. Love chair yoga. My hardest part is accepting my disease eating the right way, and moving on. I do realize the gut/mind thing and it’s a hard one to get control of, that’s my struggle. I’m so very sick of chicken and fish, and with the SIBO it’s no carbs or high fiber. So confusing cuz with diverticulosis you need fiber.to prevent flare ups. Do you feel better after the surgery? Well ty for the advice, stay healthy.🤗

• Posted

It seems like you are not quite realizing the acute relationship between anxiety/panic attack and your digestive track...this is a viscous circle unless you stop it.  You lost forty pounds, now why don’t you try ‘chair’ yoga (you never get on the ground)—the main focus is breathing techniques— once a week should get you in a place where you are helping yourself to stop the madness.
    • Posted

Thank you Vic, yes I do mindfulness meditation and breathing along with yoga, and walking is good. It’s a hard one to control mind/ gut issues. For me it’s the acceptance of my diagnosis and eating healthy, the diets are strict and confusing, each one is different. Lifestyle change and being sick for 5 months with all this. Pretty burnt out. Thanks for great advice 🤗

• Posted

Excellent!  As far as SIBO, This is a superb article, from Healthygut.co giving you a list of  qualified practitioners from all around the world  specializing in SIBO, including Meal Plans, and other valuable info!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) as it was broken. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

It’s a new article on the website, it came out just in April this year, the same link worked again on two other new devices not sure why the moderator claimed it broken.  Works great on mobile phones.  OTHERWISE you can copy and paste it.  The moderator shouldn’t leave it out.  But if they do again...Try this one instead, if not, try searching SIBO on that website.

https://thehealthygut.co/7-signs-that-your-ibs-may-be-sibo/

• Posted

Thank you, what an amazing website. Just wish it was free. My GI Clinic is clueless about how to treat SIBO. They are amazing Clinic and I’m waiting to meet with their GI dietitian, hope she’s more aware. Because with my Diverticulosis I need to eat fiber to prevent a flare up, but with SIBO it’s no fiber or very low fiber. So confusing. Thank you for your support. On my antibiotics now and feel like crap.😔😢

• Posted

Vickie

This meal planning was done and approved by experts and doctors of gut diseases which you have.  There are a few ‘free’ recipes on the website but I think the planned meals for SIBO recipes for two months comes to about ten cents a day!  If you are looking for food to eat considering how complicated your situation is, this might be worth a try.  Opportunity is knocking.

• Posted

Yes , I am going to give it a try. Thank you so much. I also found a great site with Jason Koop. 👍 I gotta think positive and move on to get my life back. 

• Posted

I too, have been diagnosed with severe diverticulosis. I'm interesed in what sort of diet you had before the dx, and the abscess? For me, I ate really clean most of the time, but did have beef and pork in small amounts (stir fry with veggies). I have not had diverticulitis, and hope to never have that experience...yet 😭

• Posted

I ate healthy and not healthy, on the go a lot so did a lot of fast food, but did eat salads and fish of all kinds. My fav food was soda , chocolate and popcorn. My staples pretty much. When I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis they sent me home on 2 day liquids and antibiotics but didn’t tell me a diet plan, so if I felt like eating it was salads and subway or Taco Bell. Was so sick, ended up in hospital with abscess on IV for 5 days. Sent home on antibiotics and a strict soft food diet. So now the hardest part is eating healthy and lifestyle change. Increase fiber daily. So they say eat high fiber to avoid a flare up. No fried , processed foods, red meat, and soda is a no no . Best wishes to you and I pray you never have a flare up it’s horrible. 🤗🙏

• Posted

They really are horrible , Esp flare ups and Sibo. Prayers to all.
  • Posted

Hi Vickie, I would like to share with you the things that have helped me most;

1 proper hydration, 2 probiotics(with a min 15 billion cultures and 10 strains) 3 naturally fermented foods such as kefir, sauerkraut, yogurt(plain) etc.. 4 avoid fried food, nuts, seeds, any gmo foods..try to eat as much clean/unprocessed/organic food as possible! 5 any outdoor activity esp walking! 6 & 7 Pray and read the Bible, Jesus loves you and wants you to receive Salvation and Peace...Read John 14:27, May God Bless you!

• Posted

Thank you Anthony, great advice, Kefir? I’ve heard about it but never tried it. I cannot do dairy. Sauerkraut love it! And I have had to learn to eat all natural healthy foods non processed or fried, I drink lotsa water and cranberry juice along with smoothies. It’s been a rough 5 months for me with mostly bad days. I really do need to find my faith again. So Thank you for your kind words and support 🙏🤗🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.