IBS since July almost non stop. Please. Someone read this.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Please. Anyone. Ever since the second week of July, I don't think I've went more than 4 days without symptoms. It started with what I thought was just a stomach bug. I was driving to work when all of a sudden I got really anxious, started sweating and felt that ping in your stomach when you think you're about to literally crap your pants. I knew I had diarrhea, as soon as I pulled in to work I ran up the stairs and went. Thought I was going to die. Texted my boss from the bathroom telling her I was here but sick. Ended up going home. I'm going to be honest, I don't remember my symptoms after that. I remember A LOT of gas. It wasn't until August when I went to Indiana with my now fiance that I was still feeling sick. Nausea, stomach cramping, anxiety, sweating, chills, loss of appetite...went to a doctor who referred me to a gastoenterologist. She scheduled a colonoscopy, it came back fine minus some internal hemerrhoids. It is now almost December and all I have is a "supposed" IBS diagnosis. I have had 3 of what I now call "spells" since then. I get extremely nauseous, panicky, feel like I'm going to throw up and pass out. I shake, it almost feels like a constant tremor. The last week of September, I couldn't eat for 3 days. I had no appetite, I was having a "spell." Went to Urgent Care because I knew I was dehydrated and I literally felt like I was withering away as I had called off work all weekend. They took a urinalysis and said I didn't have a strong infection but she noticed some cells clinging to the dipstick as she pulled it out. I had some slight discomfort in my lower left side towards the back, and I had also been peeing a lot which idk how because I hadn't eaten anything and was barely able to drink water. She said it was a UTI. Put me on omnicef, antivert and zofran for nausea to try and get my appetite back. 2 days later my boyfriend proposes to me, unfortunately while I was still sick (but YAY!) Anywho, I have been going to a psychiatrist because I know my anxiety isn't helping and I'm stuck in a loop. I can't get out. HELP ME. I am literally starting to become suicidal and depressed. It's tearing my life away from me. I feel SO terrible that my fiance is putting up with me, it makes me wonder why he wants to even still marry me. My gastro I haven't seen since my colonoscopy because she's been so booked. I don't go until 12/15/17. I never want to eat. I'm TERRIFIED. I don't have an appetite, I'm dizzy all the time. My IBS is mostly constipation, but today now that I got all of that out, I have D. WTF. I am literally so scared to ever leave my apartment. I'm afraid of all the things I used to love, such as food, socialization. I feel like this is more than IBS and anxiety, honestly. I want her to test me for a parasite, there HAS to be something else going on. I am so unhappy and I just don't know what to do anymore...someone please help me. I printed out papers for FMLA but I know I have a slim chance of her signing the papers because I struggled with a WPA for work so I can go to the bathroom when I need to go. I'm so scared I'm going to lose my job and that this is never going to go away. How does anyone live like this...

I'm so sorry for the long rant, I am just literally at wits end and find myself crying sporadically because I have no other idea what to even do. I can't even get into counseling until 12/5...and I booked that the beginning of October....

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi victoriak9

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Try Buscopan for the cramps
    • Posted

Thank you. I go in to my gastro today at 240 and will bring that up. I'm currently on bentyl but it's not doing much. I've been calling every day praying someone had cancelled. 

• Posted

Hi, can you get multistrain probiotics ? as strong as possible, check out the FODMAP diet it's very good info online, have you been tested for H pylori ?, coeliac disease ?.

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel. I’ve been in a “flare” for almost six weeks. This is not right and it’s not normal. Unless you suffer this you don’t understand. I’m frustrated. Angry and depressed with this. No one understands the impact this has on our lives. Ppl think it’s in my head. They should come look at my toilet pan every single morning. I’ve just had a colonoscopy which dr said is fine. FINE?? I don’t feel fine. My life is crap daily. It only feels a bit better if there is no food inside me. The bowel prep made me feel well. I’ve eaten again now and I’m back to cramps and diarreah. So I feel your pain and frustration. It’s like no one ever listens or believes us. I hate this life I’m living right now. 
    • Posted

I feel exactly the same as you ..

"I only feel a bit better if there is no food inside me " and " The bowel prep

made me feel well ". I'm struggling with the pain from the cramps .

I've had constant diarhea every day for a week now. Daren't eat as everything

goes straight through me ! I'm exhausted with it all and haven't dared go out

for a week up to now .

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're going through this but I know exactly how you are feeling!! A lot of the time I felt like I was going crazy with the anxiety that comes with IBS. The problem is that flare ups can come seemingly out of nowhere for no apparent reason. It sounds like anxiety is a problem, as it is for me as well, and that only makes symptoms worse. sad I've found some relief with probiotics and diet change. I recommend the FODMAP diet, but I also went to a nutritionist who had me go gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free (I've been MOSTLY refined sugar free lol) and my attacks have been less severe. It's only been about 2 months so who knows if this is the answer for the long run, but so far it's helping a little bit. Good luck!!!

• Posted

This sounds very like IBS, Since you have been diagnosed with IBS, accept your diagnosis and trust your doctor.  Try a food diary or the Low Fodmap diet to identify food triggers.  It sounds like anxiety is triggering your symptoms and causing frequent flare ups.  What you are experiencing is very common with IBS especially the constant fear that you have something else.  Try distraction techniques, Imodium for diarrhoea and eat fruit or try a laxative if you get constipated. Ask your doctor for an antispasmodic such as Buscopan.  Painkillers like nurofen also help.  Once you start to accept your IBS, you will be able to cope with it.  My diagnosis of IBS cured my health anxiety and my IBS greatly improved.
  • Posted

SLIPPERY ELM, 600mg capsules, taken 20 minutes before a meal.  Brought from health shop in UK.  Google it, I am very sceptical of natural remedies, but my GP mentioned it and after 12 years of GERD, IBS for over 40 and severe gastritis was willing to give anything a try, one month later I can now eat properly, have virtually no stomach pain and stools back to normal, no runs or constipation and lost all the bloated feelings.  It works within a couple of days.  All I can say is give it a try and good luck
    • Posted

Hi I have been suffering an ibs flare up for over 6 weeks now and I read with interest your article about slippery elm and was extremely impressed does this definitely work for you I have now bought some as I am desperate aswel I bought the powder praying it works any advice would be very much appreciated 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.