IBS/social anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Because of my IBS, in new situations, ie dating, meeting new people changing job, I have anxiety issues as I always thing I may need the toilet, start to panic and embarrass myself. This has really stopped me changing job and going dating.  I don't get constipated, I have the looser end of the scale lol 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, 

I too am the exact same! I am always thinking if I travel too far from home I may get an urgency to go to the loo and will have to hold it until I get home because I don't like using public toilets because it's embarrassing! I find that if my stomach starts churning I take Imodium which usually works instantly. IBS is usually caused by stress and anxiety - have you tried hypnotherapy or CBT? I am currently having both and feel calmer but still have sevear symptoms but it's something that should ease with time.

I hope you get better soon!

• Posted

Hi lauren, it's horrible isn't it!! I went to a therapist about 3 years ago which helped but that was more to understand what i was going through at the time. But I've finally put the pieces together in my head and think it's time for CBT and start living my life. 

I'm glad you feel calmer and fingers crossed your symptoms ease 😎

• Posted

Hello Lion1, I was exactly like you until last year. When I was finally diagnosed with IBS (because of all the symptoms and after having ruled out other things...) my doctor referred me to a dietician and told me to go on a low FODMAPs diet. Within a few days I was reborn. You may want to look into it. Take care and all the best xo Larah
    • Posted

Hi, I just had a quick look at the fodmap diet charts plan, looks like a lot you can't have and some change to my current diet, did it really work that well? 

Thanks 

• Posted

It worked really well for me and yes it wasn't easy initially to give up all my favourite food, but at the end I'd rather go without the food and those nasty symptoms.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi. Yes I am in the exact same terrible situation with horrible symptoms of IBS-D, the biggest of which is urgency to go to the toilet. Urgency that is seriously affecting my lifestyle, planning any events, travel plans, even staying at a friends house for the weekend. Many many situations now add to my anxiety & of course anxiety worsens the symptoms. I think even if I found a cure for the IBS, it would also take some time to get over the related anxiety. There seems to be many people with this similar urgency- is there any cure? Should I also be on something for generalised anxiety? I also tend to try to hide and cover my symptoms but yet I always feel ill. Never truly feel like myself. I just want to be normal, carefree and get rid of this ghastly symptom!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.