IBS symptoms?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there. I'm kind of like a long time sufferer of IBS. 5 years ago I had a sigmoidoscopy due to bloated and gassy stomach accompanied by constipation and fresh blood after wiping. It went fine and I was told I had IBS. I've just tried living with it since I eat relatively healthy but symptoms come and go. Last summer I started getting diarrhea instead of constipation. I went to the doctors and they took a stool sample and blood test and both came back fine. Around December my loose stools and frequent passing came back again. I put this down to excessive alcohol drinking over Xmas but the loose stools and frequent passing remain. I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago as I had a couple of quite bad chest infections, again bloods came back fine. I'm not sure if my symptoms remain because I've been struggling with anxiety and depression lately but I'm going to the loo like 3 times a day. My stools sometimes are quite solid, other times not so much but they are never accompanied with blood or dark stools and there's no pain or anything. Does it sound like this is just IBS symptoms? I'm going on a strict and bland diet next week akin to the FODMAP diet and if it doesn't help I'm going to book another doctors appointment. As mentioned I've had some mental issues recently so this may have exaggerated other symptoms but I've generally not been feeling myself.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi anxiety and depression play a huge part in IBS

The more you worry the worse it gets.

I'm on anti depressants now and hopefully with being calmer my problems will start to ease

Good luck

• Posted

Hi I'm new to the group. I have very bad IBS-D it's very rare that I have a solid stool. I have to go straight to the bathroom within 5 to 10 minutes of eating and have diarrhea with pain!!! Most of the time I have to go to sleep for an hour or so to feel some better. My doctor has told me my anxiety/depression has a lot to do with IBS. She said I have to get my depression and anxiety under control there's no cure for IBS but he would help a lot. I've also had my gallbladder removed in 2010 so that doesn't help much either and so for no meds have helped. Have tried a strict diet of grilled foods I'm so sick of them plus low-fat foods that in itself is enough to make you depressed so I get to start a new depression medicine tomorrow fingers crossed that it helps. Hope you got something to help I've been dealing with this for about 15 years now but it's gotten really worse in the last year .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.