ibs symptoms - joints, bones, muscle weakness!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I got diagnosed with ibs earlier this year, at the beginning it was dreadful. Their was no clear signs for me because one day the food that was giving me pains wouldn't the day after so it was all confusing. I tried healthy eating but that just made me worse so now I eat like I normally would but just lesser portions and I feel alright most of the time. Still haven't got used to my bowel movements yet, sometimes Im really uncomfortable but this happens about twice a week now which I can handle if I take my buscopan regularly. Since I got diagnosed, my muscles and joints have been really weird and I read some information about ibs and the different symptoms and it did say about weakness of joints and muscles. I tore the ligaments in my big toe in both feet 3 times without even doing anything to them. Then I lost my balance in the shower because of my ankle pain and I sprained my wrist and that just feels weak all the time. Then Saturday last week, I was out with mates and my leg just gave way from under me, I was only standing there and it felt like it was cramp in my knee. Got rushed to the hospital and they sent me to the fracture clinic on Thursday, thank god it was just torn ligaments in my knee but the pain was so bad. I was just wondering has anyone else had an increase in muscle/joint/bone weakness since being diagnosed with ibs? I really need to find someone else to relate to with this because Im only 20 years of age and I don't think my bones and stuff should be this weak.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Big hugs to you. sad

Have you seen a dietician? My doctor just recently told me that when you're lacking a lot of normal day foods and vitamins you're more likely to get Osteoporosis. Which was a shock to me as I've been bad for two years and hardly eat anything these days so to be told about it just now is a bit rubbish. Definitely tell your doctor about it! sad really hope you're okay!!!! x

• Posted

Hi

I really sympathize with you. I agree with Lolo, tell your doctor. IBS takes a toll and makes you weak.

I sometimes compensate with crystalite in my water. Hope you feel better.

Vivian

• Posted

thats interesting, I get muscle pain etc, mind I do have arthritis and sciatica, but since Dads death pain is appearing in strange places like my toes and feet, dr says its arthritis, its all inflammation, all of it, IBS arthritis etc, some days we feel lousy, others its manageable, Im 58, thats not much fun at 20.  Id see your Dr to check out whats causing the muscle joint weekness sounds like a separate issue to me, Ive started taking Calcium Citrate that dampens the inflammation, mention that to your Dr, and Aloe Veras good for inflammation.  Good Luck
  • Posted

Thank you all of your replies. I'm going to the doctors next week so I will ask when I'm their. My torn ligament in my knee is getting better, I walked up the stairs last night with my crutches for the first time in a week so I'm definitely making progress. Also went upstairs and down them today, I'm getting faster so Im just thinking positive. I'm just worrying now about when my knee is better and its terrifying to think it could happen at anytime in anyplace all over again. I really need to know if it is to do with the ibs or not because then I could do something to help myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.