IBS Symptoms Months Post-Infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Here looking for some answers.

In September, I had a gastroenteritis sort of bug. Symptoms were diarrhoea, bloating, cramping, sweating, and there was a night where I woke up with an itchy rash that quickly died down. I had no appetite and lost weight. It lasted 3 weeks, maybe slightly longer. I felt very drained. No vomiting, though. Eventually, I felt better.

Months after, I have experienced IBS symptoms. Just a dodgy stomach, really, waking up with quite an unsettled stomach in the morning and after dinner sometimes. 

I had a stool test to test for things like E-Coli, Campylobacter I assume. All came back clear - I had none of it.

So, what could it have been? Not knowing is what worries me. 

Kind regards.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I must add - the stool test was around the time of my original illness.

Looking online, the only thing that really matches up to my symptoms was giardiasis. 

The bug started 2/3 weeks after a holiday to Spain. 

• Posted

Chris

Not looking at Ibs,

It may be you picked up a viral infection, at this time of Year Winter/Winter Spring is a good time of the year to pick up Virus. My wife was ill for three weeks that was taken as a viral infection. The problem is Antibiotics do not work with a virus and generally all you can do is just wait it out. Sometimes not eating will help as long as you keep fluid levels up, stopping food for two or three days may help

BOB

• Posted

I had some kind of infection probably viral which was terrible and developed post infectious ibs. Unfortunately it can be hard to know what it is that caused it but your best bet now is to treat the ibs and hopefully it settles down. Try the fodmap diet to see if that helps. You might be able to avoid just certain vegetables and fruits like onions, beans, broccoli, peas etc. Some people can’t touch dairy and gluten but that doesn’t seem to cause me issues. 
  • Posted

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to me! 

It’s not so much the IBS itself but the fact that I don’t know that is tormenting me - especially given the stool sample came back okay. 

I’ll try fodmap. I tried dairy free for a while but it didn’t make too much difference. Come to think of it, broccoli was actually particularly troublesome. 

• Posted

Post infectious IBS can follow after a stomach bug.   Get tested for h pylori.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.