IBS Symptoms when NOT drinking?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

For years I had very occasional symptoms of painful defecation, blood in stool, discomfort sitting down, bloating and general fatigue. But they would come for about a week or so then might not happen again for 6 months - so due to the embarrassment on my part and difficulty getting a doctors appointment whilst the symptoms were occurring I just ignored it.

Back in 2020 I decided to go on a low carb diet (including not drinking) and I very quickly developed these symptoms. As time went on they got worse and worse (to the point where I was struggling to work) until I finally went to the doctors. They took a load of tests and everything came back negative. They told me it was probably IBS, to take paracetamol for the stomach cramps and that's about it. I then decided to stop the diet and within a week I was absolutely fine. I went through the whole of 2021 without any issue at all (which was a bit unusual).

I then decided to do 'dry january', where you don't drink any alcohol during january - and was fine at first. But now the symptoms have come back. I'm not dieting really, the only major change i've made is the lack of beer. Do people think there's any chance that this is a trigger for me, or just a coincidence? It doesn't make any sense to me . . . .

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi ben, this sounds so weird but not impossible that this can happen, it's feasible that altering your diet is causing the problems you've had with your bowel. it MUST therefore be something other than drink which is causing these difficulties. try examining stress, food groups, lifestyle etc. what else could you alter that could cause your symptoms. glad you have 1 vice that doesn't hurt you when you're stressed but would it be that the THOUGHT of drinking is causing these symptoms?

• Posted

Hi Ben,

I had exactly the same experience like you : I also went on a low carb diet in 2020 in order to eat healthy, zero alcohol as well and after this diet I got very ill in my guts, also total fatigue. I find there is so much misinformation on the internet like low carb is good, no alcohol and no coffee is good. How are you at present ?

• Edited

Hi I came online and was going to ask the same thing I have the same problem.

A few month ago doctors told me to give up cut down on drinking I was drink more than a should i knew I was I do find it easy to stop and start drinking and I need to loses weight. From when I gave up drinking and cutting down my stomach not been the same I always had IBS a mix of CD mostly I could control it. But now it seem like I'm on the toilet all the time so much gas in me and stomach pains round ribs I been for blood tests and scans everything is OK I'm tired too. Doctors say it nothing to worry about but it getting me down they seem to think it in my head but I don't feel right last year I had my gallbladder out and sometimes the pain feel like that I have shooting pains round my body that come and go.

My ibs seem worst after giving up drink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.