IBS taking over my life!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiya

I was wondering if any one could help, I have suffered with upset stomachs for about 10 years on and off I went to the doctor who  diagnosed me with IBS and gave me medication which helped for awhile but then in the last 2 years it has got so much worse I did a private  food allergy test which come back I was  intolerant to wheat, gluten, beef and cows milk so I cut them completely out my diet  but in the last year it don't seem to matter what I eat and it's getting to the point that I don't want to it at all, I went to the doctors in march and he did some test which all come back clear apart from being   Deficient in B12 which I now have injection for. I am just at my  wits end it's starting to take over my life I have  diarrhoea every other day and like I said I feel like I hardly eat anymore 😞.

I have got the doctors again this morning so I am hoping that she can give me something to help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried the Low Fodmap diet? It has certainly helped me. It helped me identify my food "triggers" - in my case onions, mushrooms and garlic, some fruits, as well as anything other than a small amount of garlic. 

Jan

• Posted

When I went to the doctors yesterday he told me about this diet I am looking into it.

Thank you

• Posted

I'm very similar to you at the minute so really feel for you. I've had my IBS-D for 10 years since my Mam had her leg amputated. My IBS flares up and gives me diarrhoea every day without exception and since my Mam and dog passed away in the summer, it's getting worse again. I'm relying heavily on Imodium if I ever want to do stuff but sometimes that's not even enough. I panic going everywhere incase there isn't a toilet nearby just incase.  I don't want it taking over and controlling my life. I've booked into my doctors on 23/10/17 so I'm hoping for some help and advice. I've just ordered a self help book too. I think mine is very much stress related as opposed to food related but my diet probably doesn't help.

• Posted

You poor thing I am really sorry about your mum and dog that must be very hard for you to deal with and must not help your IBS with the stress. 

When I went to the doctors the other day he told me to take Imodium (2 a day) and buscopan (4 to 8 a day) and he has given me catalopram (which is an antidepressant) that is meant to help calm the bowls, I felt a bit unsure taking them but I did some research  and people have had some success with them so I have started them, I think it's a bit soon to tell what effect they have on me but I am hoping they will help. 

Maybe that is something you can talk to your doctor about on Monday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.