IBS testing?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had posted a week or more ago about some symptoms I was having that came on rather suddenly. I originally thought it could be an ovarian cysts but tests rules that out. Now I am so suppose to see the doctor tomorrow to discuss further testing but today almost all of the symptoms are gone. Each day since I last posted things have improved. Stomach burning is down to almost non existent, the pain in abdomen is pretty much gone except for last night it returned following an anxiety attack along with back pain and then later I had only one twinge in night, no bloat. Prior to this the pain was bouncing from lower right abdomen to side to back to under right rib., to hip. The only thing hanging on now is the inability to have a bowel movement without straining and stool is still not my normal appearance. 99% of pain is gone, the bloat is gone, the gnawing stomach is gone.

I lost a lot of weight through this but I can't tell if it is from my anxiety disorder causing a loss of appetite or something else.

My question: would you still go through the tests to eliminate other issues or would you wait and see if this problem I had happens again?

Would IBS do this...appear suddenly and then slowly disappear?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The burning pain...traveling pain around the nack and sudden change of bowel habits sound kind of like gastritis. Thats exactly how mine started. IBS does have many symptoms. Some of which you describe.

• Posted

Saw my doc yesterday for more tests. Did a blood test for h.pylori and a stool sample to check for blood. Blood was negative so he said no need to do colonoscopy or endoscopy. He believes I gastritis and IBS. Now I worry that he is missing something. He has currently told me to take in fiber (citrucel) and pepcid. He said we will reevaluate in a month. Can you have both gastritis and ibs? Doesn't a diagnosis required more tests? I keep thinking I should demand a colonoscopy.

• Posted

yes...you can have both. many people who have ibs also experience gastritis. Its not uncommon. People with ibs also have problem foods and those can also trigger gastritis. Your gastritis can only be confirmed by endoscopy. A colonoscopy is helpful but ibs will be diagnosed if it shows no issues that could cause your symptoms. My ibs was not diagnosed until after my colonoscopy. I also have a lazy colon as

• Posted

I think take the tests because putting your mind at rest just by knowing what you have will help. Also sorry but can i ask the other person who replied how you know it's gastritis and not IBS? I have a camera that i'm waiting for to see if i have coeliac disease but don't think i have that or ibs so want to understand other conditions to rule those out or in!

• Posted

i had gastritis by evidence of an endoscopy. Its visible inflammation through the camera. i also have ibs and the two work together in many cases.

• Posted

Ooph thought as much, i think this is what I have not just ibs.

• Posted

IBS can cause all the symptoms you describe and comes and goes in bouts. It can be triggered by anxiety attacks which can cause loss of appetite. IBS can also trigger lack of appetite. I would only see your doctor again if your symptoms come back. If they clear up completely, I would relax and leave it at that.

• Posted

Pippa

How long does a bout of IBS last? I still have abdominal pain that moves around and I am still constipated. The pain is a lot less but I bloated tonight and it returned. I seem to be worse off after I ovulate. I wish I could stop thinking the worse and just give what the doctor told me to do some time. I thought the pepcid and citrucel would

immediately make this all go away. Stomach burn is gone but the other symptoms just hang on 😦

• Posted

Hi Sarah, sorry to jump in but i have just had 10 days of pain caused by a compacted bowel, just be aware that flare ups can vary if you get to 4+ days and a flare up hasn't eased off, see a doctor. I went to the doctor on Thursday only to end up in hospital, i had been in pain since the Friday before!

• Posted

The best way to determine what is going on is by a process of elimination.

Sure anxiety may cause what seems like IBS. So can other conditions.

I suggest:

1. Regardless of what is going on, but a stool softener from a chemist. Take these at night before bed and after 2 days, maybe less, your stools will be softer without the need to strain. Straining on a regular basis is not good and should be avoided. Not having regular bowel movements is a serious matter.
    2. Go and have a comprehensive allergy test. I had one a decade ago after feeling off for a while. To determine what allergies I had, I was placed on an Elimination Diet. Lo 'n behold I was found to be allergic to many foods. When I stopped those foods (in my case everything smoked and spicy), I felt so much better. Such tests are conducted by hospitals and certain clinics. It is not a test that a General Practitioner or Primary Care Physician can do.
    3. When you get the results of the Elimination Diet you'll be far closer to determine if your symptoms are food related and you'll be able to move forward on your path to finding a cure.
    • Posted

Sorry I meant "BUY" a stool softener. Not "BUT"...

• Posted

One more thing.

While you're arranging an appointment for an allergy test, arrange a colonoscopy as well. Ideally have an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time. This will check for inflammation, polyps, coeliac disease etc.

The fact that you have pain one day and not the next is something you should mention to all your doctors.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.