IBS type problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies.

Looking for a bit of advice. Periods have become so erratic over the last few months, I went from having one every two weeks early part of the year and now I've not had one since early July.

My main issue is IBS type problems, mostly diarrhoea to be honest especially when I first get up. I've has IBS for over 15 years but id not had a flare up in a long while.

Any ideas what to try?

Thanks xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Kefir - you might have to make it yourself.  Buy "seeds" from health shop, follow instructions, mix with milk, leave over night, drain and press through a fine sieve.  Save seeds, look a bit like cauliflower and reuse.

• Posted

IBS can make periods worse and especially if you are perimenopausal; you probably already know this as you have had IBS for a long time.  You could also try bifido probiotics or peppermint oil if you haven't done so already.  I have also heard Colofac is good for stopping diarrhoea.

I got diagnosed with IBS in May after three months of tests and seeing eight doctors.  It made my period pain very hard to control at first.  Now I don't need much IBS medication.

• Posted

I have IBS symptoms myself probiotics do not work for me they do have medication for IBS you should talk to your doctor about it and also look into what others say to use 

My flare ups begin if i eat tomatoes so i stay away from tomatoes, i stay away from chocolate, some vegatables i can have and i eat really bland no spices on my food and pasta i have to eat bland and no cheese or dairy or my symptoms will act up 

There is a fod map you get to see what foods trigger IBS and what foods is safe to eat with IBS look it up

• Posted

Hi lisa!

Probiotics have been a Godsend for me along with occasional use of fiber supplements....I know it sounds crazy, but it works wonders for me and several other friends who suffer with IBS. Mine did get worse for the beginning of the end of Peri when I was finally sliding into true Menopause. Hope this helps you. I have the type of Probiotic that is in pill form and has to be refrigerated. I take it 20 mins prior to lunch and dinner. Works wonders. The fiber drink is in the evening after about 1-2 hr after dinner. I've had very little issues if any since following this advice from my GI doctor.

Good luck,

Annie xx

• Posted

I don't believe in syndromes - they are symptoms of SOMETHING!  I was once told I had IBS - after moving myself on to a gastroenterologist, I was found to have 6 duodenal ulcers.

When symptoms of severe fatigue, joint pain, fogginess decended, I was told I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  This time I told my gp, that a syndrome is a symptom of something else.  Although my gp was in denial, I was eventually found to have Haemochromatosis (9 years later after one of my hips broke up).

So ask your dr to look harder or refer you on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.