IBS - wind and nausea

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had IBS for approx 10 years.Tried changing diet, monitoring food intake etc. with little success. Lately my symptoms have become worse. Going on holiday I get anxious, have diarrhoea etc. also the main problem is wind, which seems to start in the bowel as bubbles and goes around the body, sometimes making me feel faint (not good when you are up in an aeroplane). This is relieved when I can go to the toilet, but can take some time to go away. I don't get too much pain, but do suffer from from bouts of diarrhoea without much warning. I do feel that my problems stem from anxiety and stress. Not having much joy with medication, but have started taking mebrevine, anyone else have these symptoms and tried this medication ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm so glad I read your post. Today we have finally had my 9 year old daughter treated for IBS and has started the same medication as yourself. She is an anxious child and I can think of a situation on the aeroplane on our last holidays, feeling sick and nearly fainting and spending the whole time in the loo. Would love to know how you got on with the medication.
  • Posted

Hi Campbell, after suffering from IBS for countless years, the one thing that worked a treat were colpermin capsules, available from the chemist or on prescription, they are peppermint oil based, working only in the bowel. They made a huge difference and I have had no further medication for IBS for some years now. Might be worth giving them a try. Stress and anxiety are a great player in the severity of symptoms, as the world biggest worrier can vouch for. I am fortunate enough to take diazepam as required, much to the GP's distain, but, the benefits to being calmer outway the side effects and concerns over addiction
  • Posted

[quote:4ea8fb8aba=\"Campbell\"] Not having much joy with medication, but have started taking mebrevine, anyone else have these symptoms and tried this medication ?[/quote:4ea8fb8aba]

I have just been prescribed Meberevine by my GP. I felt an attack coming on (mine is also stress related), and took a tablet. Hey presto, the attack disappeared - marvellous stuff!

My GP says you can take Meberevine every day if you want to, not just 3 times a day when you are having an attack. It works by regulating the gut so the spasms stop, and makes the gut relax and contract in the right order and as it should (ie top bit of gut squeezes then relaxes, then the next bit of gut squeezes and relaxes, and this moves the food along nicely).

I will still try and avoid stressful situations, drink plenty of water, eat sensibly (although my IBS is not diet related) and make time to eat, and relax more, but it's nice to know there's something I can take that will help if I need it.

• Posted

Hi, I've just been prescribed meberevine for stomach cramps associated with IBS. Admittedly I've only been taking it for two days, but so far it does not make any difference, and the bloating and cramping begins during or shortly after eating. Can anyone tell me how long they usually take to work?

My IBS seems to be different to the experience of others I read - I don't need to be near a loo all the time, but despite a high fibre diet I do not go every day and when I do go it seems to be a real effort and does not offer much relief. I constantly feel bloated, but get no relief when I eventually do pass wind. (sorry to be graphic!)

I have stopped taking everything else I was taking before (wind relief and fybogel) since starting the meberevine, but can anyone tell me if laxatives can be taken with it? How about windease or other similar drugs. I am still taking aloe vera, and peppermint capsules but neither seem to be having any effect!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Posted

Hi Loolaa

I've had IBS for about 6 months and from what I have read there seems to be 2 camps of experiences of mebeverine. Those, like Snitzbitz, who find it works straight away for them, and then those like me who quite frankly it has done nothing for.

I was put on it in February and my doctor said it could take up to 2 weeks to work, which it seemed to. I find this advice at odds with the experiences of those for whom it can have a more or less immediate effect.

However, I am unconvinced it was the mebeverine that eased my symptoms at that time (although I don't know what did) because 3 months later, after taking 3 tablets a day everyday for 3 months the pain I was experiencing was so chronic that I concluded taking mebeverine, in my case, was pointless.

So I spent a month taking 2 tablets and then a month taking just one and am intending to stop next week provided my GP agrees. The only reason I want to check with my GP was that for the month I was on 2 tablets I had virtually no pain (whereas on 1 tablet a day I am having some pain several times a week) and I want to see if dosage is a factor for me (ie 3 tablets too much, one tablet too little).

One thing that I do note is that you and I have similar symptoms - I don't have to be around a toilet 'just in case', I don't go everyday and my main symptom has always been the pain, chronic at times. I wonder if mebeverine works for those who have more diahorrea/constipation problems than those of us whose main symptom is pain .... Just a thought.

Anyway, hope that might be of some assistance.

T

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.