IBS with GERD?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Is it common to also have GERD/upper ab pain with IBS? I've been suffering from IBS-like symptoms since May that involve bloating, gas, cramps, and mixed bowel movements. For the last two month the discomfort was always in the lower abdomen bellow the belly button. However, in the last few days I've also began to experience GERD symptoms -food always backing up, hoarseness in my voice, coughing, and upper fullness/aches. I already say my primary care last month who seems to think I have IBS symptoms. Two days ago I started getting worried about my symptoms and headed to an Urgent Care. Had my CBC blood test done, which came out normal and they also did Upper and Lower abdominal X-rays and told me that they did not see anything out of the ordinary. I'm currently taking DGL licorice root, slippery elm, peppermint and oregano oil supplements to calm my stomach.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i have IBS AND ACID REFLUX its a nightmare makes me so depressed with anxiety same symptoms i have including sinus problem and breathing problems at this point i keep thinking umma die because am always feeling sick, breathless, gassy, acid reflux ugh the list goes on

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Have you tried using DGL licorice root supplement and slippery elm? Chewing licorice root supplement 1 pill 20 min before each meal does wonders and has zero side effects, unlike traditional meds. Also slippery elm and marshmallow root supplements really work at coating the irritated digestive tract/GERD and healing it. When it gets really bad, I also drink one table spoon of apple cider vinegar or a table spoon of aloe vera juice.

• Posted

Hi - yes it is common to have GERD with IBS, it is a sign it is bad. The hoarseness and cough are a GERD symptom.

The best thing to take is lansoprazole, it is a very effective cure,.

• Posted

IBS and GERD are linked. Pain can be all over the abdominal area and moves about. Try not to worry because anxiety will worsen your IBS and reflux. Calmness keeps IBS at bay. I have reflux and IBS, although my reflux started before I got IBS. Everyone experiences IBS differently.

• Posted

Have you had an endoscopy or colonoscopy? My doctor did both to help diagnose IBS , check for celiac and see if GERD was an issue. I went on a strict elimination diet which helped

• Posted

i wonder if you need something for your anxiety? it's worth a shot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.