Ibuprofen and Panic Attacks?

Posted , 7 users are following.

It never occured to me to ask around about this. Has anyone ever had a panic attack caused by ibuprofen? I actually had my first PA half an hour after I took an 800mg ibuprofen tablet. I had taken ibuprofen before that, but never in that dosage. Do you think I could attribute my PA to that?

I was also taking Cipro for an infection at that time. I was taking the Cipro for a few days so I don't think that is what caused it. 

What do you guys think?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi mitch...it can happen , it did with my older brother,....

Please go back to see your GP..tell them what happened and ask for a different pain relief....do not worry, you will be fine on a different drug.....all the best...hugs dee

• Posted

Now I'm terrified of taking any kind of pills. Not good, but hopefully I'll get back to my old self eventually..

• Posted

Yes, ibuprofen can do this, although it's a rare side-effect.

800mg? That's double the recommended dose. Whoever manufactures 800mg ibuprofen???

The usual dose is 400 mg three times a day for adults.

I am pretty sure the Cipro had nothing to do with the panic attack.

How are you now?

Love Tess xx

• Posted

I'm in the US also!!! I so regret taking it because it was the begining of an uphill battle with anxiety and panic attacks. I wasn't even in that much pain that day, but I was scared I was going to (had to change gauze) so I took it anyway. *sigh* I'm doing much better now, but the anxiety is still there and during times of high stress my anxiety goes through the roof! It's extremely frustrating.

• Posted

I can imagine. There are lots of good pain killers that don't cause anxiety, Mitch. Please go back to your doctor!

Love Tess x

• Posted

If I take high dosage of ibuprofen or take it over a long period of time. Yes I get panic attacks so I refuse to take it anymore.
  • Posted

Someone up there is looking out for you. Ibuprofen is not a safe medication and should not be used unless you have no choice. Cipro can cause a lot of issues as well. You need to understand antibiotics and otc meds they are to cure a situation traditional cures but they arent natural and the body does react to them. 800mg is a boat load! Way too much.im surprised your ears havent been effected. Drink a lot of water and if you can look into juicing for a month. Some doctors are nuts to ever tell a person to take so much nsaids they are NOT healthy at all. 

Do i think it caused a panic attack..i dont know but maybe in this case its good it did because high doses like that can really cause damage. You ever are in that much discomfort you need some insane amount of a pain killer then seek another way to handle the pain. Theres acupuncture, pt,  chinese medicine, i dont know but not nsaid use like that. This is how so many people getbissues because some drs are stuoid and dint care and tell people to load up on nsaids and truth is they cause way more harm in the body then usefullness.  

• Posted

Most likely the cipro!

Antiin flammatory meds actually lesson the effects if anxiety

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.