Ibuprofen for nocturia (getting up to pee)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've had problems with frequent urination for several years that eventually got narrowed down to pelvic floor dysfunction. I went through physical therapy, bladder stimulation and ultimately had a medtronic nuero-modulation implant. I've improved tremendously during the day time, but I still have some issues at night, being woken up to pee. 

I've noticed that a small dose of ibuprofen 400--600mg before bed seems to keep this from happening, but I'm worried about long term side-effects if I take them every night. Is their a high risk of heart/stomach/kidney problems with that kind of dose? 

For a long time, I took ambien, but while it gave me a great sleep, I eventually had chronic fatigue so I've tried to wean off it. If ibuprofen isn't a safe choice, are there any other alternatives? Like melatonin? Would that be safer?

thanks 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm doing the same.  Seems to help.   But its important to take Ibuprofen with food.   It can burn your stomach if you take it by itself.

Not to scare you but Glen Frey, of the Eagles band, died recently, not from his arthritis but from the stomach ulcers caused by the anti-inflammatories he took over the years.  

• Posted

I have been taking 800 mg of ibuprofen for pain for a very long time.  I have had no problems whatsoever; I have never heard that taking 1 a day would cause any risks unless you have problems with your stomach or overtax your liver more by drinking.

Ibuprofen has been a life-saver for me; but it doesn't help my OAB! Wish it did~

• Posted

How often do you wake up to pee during the night?, I would agree that ibuprofen isn't a safe choice especially cause it's hard on the kidneys, and the last thing you want is a kidney issue. Have you tried avoiding bladder irritating foods and cutting off liquids 3-4 hours before bed?  that may help out as well. Melatonin is a good option, however once you start taking it, your body will produce less of its own, causing you to become dependent on it, so there is a drawback to that, as your own biological clock may get compromised. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.