Ibuprofen to ease nightime urge?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

Was just trawling the ether for information on drugs used to treat BPH, in particular Finasteride and how long it takes to have most effect, when I came across a very informative site where some guys had posted a comment/question.

One of them said he took 400mg Ibuprofen at bedtime and found it allowed him to sleep right through the night without the usual need to visit the bathroom. Could it really be that simple?

I haven't had time to research this anymore at the moment and was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge/experience of this being effective.

Here is a link to the informative page, I hope it is allowed.

http://www.harvardprostateknowledge.org/your-benign-prostatic-hyperplasia-medication-when-to-consider-a-change

Your comments would be appreciated as I might give it a go if it doesn't conflict with Tamsulosin and Finasteride which I am currently taking.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Stephen54687.  I have discovered that ibuprofen helps tremendously with my overactive bladder at night.  I discovered it by accident.  I take 600 mgs, but I am going to try a lesser dose.  I have a $60.00 a month perscription that is supposed to help with OAB, but I still get up 5 or 6 times a night when taking it.  I only get up 1 to 2 times per night with ibuprofen.  I discussed this with my doctor and she was stunned.

• Posted

This information has been online for years on BPH Forums and News Groups. As well as ibuprofen, codeine and antihistamines have the same effect but can cause serious retention. Ibuprofen is very dangerous to take long term as it causes stomach and cardiac problems. 

Melatonin or a strong cherry juice is a safer option but it did not work for me. 

• Posted

I have to concur with you, I have found exactly the same.....!    

I started taking 600mg because of RA pain in my finger and found this wonderful benefit. I used to get up 3-5 times a night too...But like you I now want to reduce the level. Long may it continue... cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.