Ic or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with ic, but after taking a few meds and being brushed off I decided to get a second opinion. However, the new doctor does not believe I have ic. The reasons being is I only urinate 3 to 4 times a day because I hold it constantly because it makes it worse when I pee. The doctor said if I had I I would’ve going no matter what. I have the constant urge to pee.  No matter what I do I just feel that sensation in my brain. The doctor recommends that I see my gynecologist since I haven’t been in a year. I do have PCOS and he believes I should get checked out for endometriosis, cyst or tumors on my ovaries, or cancer. He said ovarian, uterine or cervical cancer are ones that should be looked at. I am very nervous. The symptoms are pain during intercourse, urgency to urinate, and pain in my pelvis area. When the doctor performed and internal exam it was very sore up there like something is not right. Did anyone have similar symptoms?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leah! Have you been evaluated for pelvic floor disorder? It could be the reason for at least some of your pain. If you can, ask for a consult with a pelvic physical therapist. Best of luck!
  • Posted

After my previous diagnosis I did another urine test (the laboratory did not want to do it! why???). I went to the doctor with the results - the bacterial presence is negative (less than 1000). When I mentioned ic the doctor laughed saying that no one can make a ic diagnose without a specific examination. he said me that bacteria are hidden (????????). I do not understand what it means and has not proposed anything except antibiotic (4 months with 1 Monuril a week). Today I think to contact a urologist to make an appointment and in the meantime I do not know whether or not to do this therapy. Currently I do not have more burning but I always want to urinate (two drops). I have the impression that the bladder empties well and I can sleep at least 6 hours per night without peeing. Suggestions? Tips? Do you know urologists in London?

• Posted

Hi Rosa!

Your doctor may have been referring to a chronic or recurrent uti in which a biofilm forms around a colony of bacteria and "hides" that colony from your immune system. You can even have periods of feeling normal when the biofilm forms and free bacteria count is low. The bacteria can "burrow" into the bladder lining and linger there-a short term antibiotic won't touch them. I have IC and PFD and just finished a 6 month course of macrobid daily for this reason (3 confirmed utis in 4 months). I'm in the US but believe the leading doctor for this is in London. There's some info on the web. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi there, I just wanted to write, because I too have PCOS. I've been experiencing pelvic pain on and off for about two years. OBGYN issues have been ruled out and my doctor doesn't think that i have IC, because i don't urinate frequently or through the night. My doc basically told me that some women experience phantom pain with no reason. I guess i find that hard to believe. Have you found any help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.