ICD and eye tests - equipment used

Posted , 5 users are following.

This may seem a ridiculous query but Dad needs an eye test, booked one for Wednesday. Is there any equipment that the optometrist may use that could interfere with his ICD?

Should he mention that he has one?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Can you answer what is a ICD please see if I can answer your question.
    • Posted

Implantable Cardiac Defibrillator - at least I think that's thecorrect name. We call it the 'Gizmo'!
  • Posted

Hi,

By ICD, do you mean implantable cardioverter defibrillator? If so, I would call the cardiologist's office ask the doctor if he/she knows of any potential dangers with opthamology equipment affecting the ICD. Also alert the opthamologist when you go for the appointment that your dad has an ICD.

Usually, if equipment is properly grounded, there would not be a problem. But I would go the extra step to check with the cardiologist and make the opthamologist aware of the ICD.

Hope all goes well.

• Posted

Thanks

It only occurred to me AFTER I'd made the appointment!

I'll pop in tomorrow to inform the optician of dads ICD.

• Posted

I used to work in the eye sector and never came across it as being a problem. Things may have changed though and would be interesting to know if it is a concern.
    • Posted

I called in yesterday & optician assured me that there was no equipment that could cause interference but she was pleased that I mentioned it
    • Posted

That is good news. Glad you let them know and hope your Dad's appointment goes very well!
  • Posted

Hi LleidalLiz

Any form on equipment, no matter how small, it's always better to say something, even if you think it's ridiculous.

THERE ARE equipment that can interfere with ICD, it's unlikely to be in an Optician in a hospital, but outside an hospital, you should always let them know.

That's why it's always better to say something. Normally when you are making the appointment as if there machines do interfere, and you do not find out until you get there, you have wasted everybodies time, especially your own and your Dad.

All the best, and I hope your Dad is okey dokey.

Kev  (UK)  lol

• Posted

Hi Kev,

Thanks, that's very reassuring. We are still waiting for his ICD wallet card to arrive so I carry a photocopy of a page from the book he got from the hospital - it gives details of the device, leads, hospital etc.

You wouldn't know Dad had one, the way he behaves. He is so thankfull that they thought him 'worth it'. Taking it easy for a few months is a small price to pay, though not being able to drive for 6 months is a bit more difficult for him (he doesnt drive a car, only his tractor on the land).

• Posted

All done, dads eyes are fine - I'm the one who needs new glasses!

When people know of his ICD they tend to shy away so he. encourages them to touch it (through his clothes).

• Posted

Glad to hear it went okay! smile

Hope you get good glasses soon. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.