Ice packs

Posted , 10 users are following.

good evening one and all. 

For all you wannabes out there I have a thought I would like to share 

before the op I thought I had everything covered, raised toilet seat etc etc   It was not until I was in the hospital on the second night that a wonderful nurse brought me an ice pack!!  The relief was amazing

when I got home all I had was bag of peas, which when wrapped in a tea towel worked quite well. The only problem is when you refreez them they freeze lumpy😁😁😁 so when you go to use them again they are lumpy bumpy and hurt! 

I muddled on with makeshift ice packs until today. My new gel packs, together with waterproof cover, so you don't keep getting wet, arrived. I put them in the freezer earlier and they are perfect. I am enjoying one as I type!😄😄 I can't believe I went 14 days without these lovely ice packs so what I'm really saying newbes is get yourself some nice soft gel ice packs ready and waiting. They will become your friends. 

I have had a pleasant day. Rested, fidgeted, watched the tennis 

i wish you all goodnight and hope that wherever you are you are comfortable 

me me and my ice pack are!!!!!!!!

7 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Carol, hope you managed some sleep last night.  I have one of those ice packs that wrap around the knee.  It was really helpful in reducing the swelling. Will I need more than one to use after my op.  I see that Amazon have three ice packs for under a tenner.  Worth buying do you think? Or will one do?
    • Posted

i would definitely go for the three as often more than one is needed! 

The two I got came with covers, good for next to skin. They were two for under a tenner. Took about four days to come.  

Had a dreadful night, no bed, two hours in the chair

never mind. New day, sun is shining

have a good day xx

love carol

• Posted

Thanks Carol.  The thing I dread most about the operation is the recovery and the question of sleep in particular.  I've bought a vee shaped pillow and am trying to get myself used to sleeping with it, on my back, a few times each week.  Not this week I hasten to add, sleep in any position has been uncomfortable.  I'm such a grouch when I am tired.  Lord help my poor husband if I have several weeks without enough sleep.  I'm hoping my surgeon will allow side sleeping with a pillow between my legs.  Good luck with the rest of your recovery.  I will order the ice packs today.  Jennifer.
  • Posted

Your not alone, ice is a Hippies best friend. I also bought a,large gel pack and used it all the time. You can also microwave them is you want heat. I found just tossing in the fridge keeping it cold also works well. Get one you won't regret it especially after PT.
  • Posted

What specifically are you people icing down?

I didn't have any swelling at all but had a lot of butt cheek pain, would an ice pack have been good for that I wonder?

Are you using it mainly for swelling?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.