Icing knee

Posted , 9 users are following.

How to ice knee after surgery 5 week to control pain! And can you use a TENS unit or has anyone tried using one before! The pain is bad still not sleeping well. An any suggestions on sleep aids I tried Benadryl but bad hangover feeling next day!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Here ya go...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Very normal...

PS: Benadryl is the brand name for really cheap diphenhydramine.  It's the anti-histamine in all the "PM" products.  Just makes you drowsy.  50mg is the usual dosage.  Try some melatonin.  Remember...you don't do ANY of this and go immediately to sleep...well, morphine will do that but...  You have to PREPARE yourself for sleep!!!  Takes 30-60 minutes.  You'll be fine.

• Posted

Oh...TENS...  Very useful but...

You don't put it on the pain point.  You put it on the TRIGGER POINT causing the pain.  Unfortunately, very few people know where the trigger points are.  Example:  Just had a very painful hip pointer (tip of the hip) that was caused by my quadratus lumborum (QL) muscle located on my back covering the kidney area.  Would never have known if my chiropractor didn't tell me.  Ask a pro where to put the TENS to get relief at specific points.

• Posted

Sleeping was a problem for about 2 months. I found Melatonin worked.
    • Posted

I took Melatonin as my daughter suggested too and Valetian root! Last night received a good night rest!
    • Posted

Add a diffuser on your nightstand.  Fill it to the proper line with water and add 5 drops of pure lavender oil.  Mmmmmm...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
  • Posted

I ordered a Tens unit from Amazon & does take the edge off the pain.

I have pain constantly but don't want to take drugs during the day so I'm not in a haze all the time.

I do take 1 Nycenta later in the day but it does not make me too fogged headed.

Nycenta is like Percocet but doesn't cause

The nausea & all the side effects that The Percos cause. However it doesn't give the same same relief as the Percos it just takes the edge off

• Posted

Never hear of Nycenta but not taking any pain medication trying to clean my system out hoping the pain will be tolerable with Tylenol every now and than! I was experiencing an uncomfortable feeling over all. I will order a TENS unit but using my daughter's one now! Thanks for all the good ideas! Take care

• Posted

Try some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US).  Second best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.  Great to use 15-minutes before bedtime.
  • Posted

I still ice my knee for pain at 14 weeks. I have tried a TENS unit and it really doesn't help much. Never had any trouble sleeping from the start except for a few weeks ago, seems I had some pain due to PT and woke up hurting. Try only one benedryl or ask your doc for a mild sleep aid. Best of luck!

• Posted

Dear Daphine, at the end of PT they always attached a tens machine with an ice pack over it for 10 minutes, I therefore decided to buy one at my local pharmacy. I bought the Omron electro therapy pain relief for muscle and joint pain. They have other makes but this is the one I chose. I used it with ice every night before bed. You may want to give it a try. I also took Benadryl to help me sleep. To get a good nights sleep takes quite a while. I am at 4 months post op and sleep pretty well now however I am a light sleeper and wake up every time I turn over. Maybe try another sleep aid like Tylenol P.M. Hope you can get some good sleep soon!
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, got a TENS unit and used the Benadryl but really trying not to take too much of anything so I can focus on improving my walking! This has been the worst surgery ever and I have had over ten major surgeries! Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery! I like this site it helps me know I am not alone! Take care
  • Posted

For icing knee bags of frozen peas every couple of hours if the pains too bad and I bought a gel pad from Amazon with strap to keep in place for just before I go to sleep Then I can throw it on the floor and needn't get out of bed I'm using it now I'm on holiday in my touring caravan I use a pillow lengthwise under my leg I know they say don't but I did cos I was desperate 4 months later I have perfect bend and straightened I can do most jobs I could before my op but now without pain waiting to have my other leg done 💖💖💖

• Posted

I received a good quality ice bag when I had my surgery. It is marvelous for icing. It confirms to my knee! Get a good quality bag from CVS or Walgreens. Peas get mushy. Lol
    • Posted

The only problem with the peas is that now they're defrosted and you have to eat them.  Peas every night?  Not me!!!  I alternated between peas, carrots and broccoli...sometimes asparagus when I felt like indulging.  Gotta vary your diet...  C'mon guys...peas every night?  Yuck...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.