Icing my knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

Is there anyone out there who doesn't always find icing helpful? I often find that it makes my knee feel more stiff. I have still got swelling, which sometimes looks grotesque. What am I doing wrong?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Gillian,

I am nearly 6 weeks post op and have found icing does help, certainly with pain management on days when I have done a little too much.

I still have swelling and stiffness but its getting better.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

carol

• Posted

HI Gillian 65440, How long is is now since you've don your tkr.?I did mine 5 wks giong 6wks now and I also has stiffness but not a lot of pain. I am not using as much ice as before . when I go therapy they iced my knee after a I feel better.

• Posted

I had my right TKR on 11th April. I did very well for 11 weeks or so. I did far too much, thinking I was fully recovered and I have been struggling ever since. Pain and stiffness. Sometimes icing gIves me some relief, but often it makes me feel more stiff.

• Posted

Hello, I had bilateral knee replacements 3 weeks ago. I find icing causes my knees to ache and be stiff for a short time afterwards. It is essential; try it for shorter times while elevating; following PT and walking. Good luck.

• Posted

I do that. Like I say, sometimes it helps. Other times it doesn't.

• Posted

The knee can be quite unforgiving when we overdo things. If your knee is very swollen that's more likely to be the cause of stiffness, Ice whilst elevating toes above nose on 4 pillows keeping a slight bend in your knee 40 minutes at a time 4times a day. Don't keep the knee completely straight and in between keep it moving regularly even if it's just doing 2 or 3 gentle heel slides every hour, Try not to keep it in one position for too long. At nearly 7 months mine is still not happy if I spend more than an hour with it in one position. You will get there, it just takes time, but swelling more than a little is a sign you're doing too much.

• Posted

Thanks. I'll have to try elevating my leg at that height. Will be interesting to see what happens. I did spectacularly well at first, but now I'm disillusioned.

• Posted

I am just wondering how long before the stiffness or tightness will go away . I found out that when its loose I could walk so comfortably but after a few min it got stiff again thats frustrating.

• Posted

How long ago did you have it done? Mine doesn't get stiff whilst walking, as it's moving, but stiffens if kept in one position for too long. Every knee is different and will resolve in it's own time. Are you moving about frequently? My advice would be to walk as far as is comfortable for a few days, maybe a week, and then gradually increase the distance. If you have a step counter use that to help; if not, a friend used lamp posts and increased by one lamp post each day.

• Posted

I got it done July 10th almost 6 wks now.. The thing though I have been walking-- more

?maybe I will try doing that. I am expected back at work in 2 wks not sure what is going to happen yet. Thank you

• Posted

It's still very early days when you think it's a year to full recovery so you're only 1/8th of the way. Many people don't go back to work until 12 weeks. Are you able to do a phased return?

• Posted

Good luck. Stagger the pillow slightly so they create a slope rather than one stacked straight on the other. Remember too that it's a year to full recovery and it's not a linear recovery; there will be setbacks along the way, but don't give up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.