Ideas for activities?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, first post. I have GAD with panic. I am capable of pursuing hobbies and activities on my own, but not with other people. My psychiatrist wants me to do this. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks Freddie.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, It is good to have hobbies.  You don't say how old you are would doing your family tree on line interest you.  You could register with of the on line companies.

I have been doing this for years.  You can start and stop as you wish.  I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi F, another thing is to look into exercise routine. I have adopted to Concept2 rower at local leisure centre, I climb on and paddle away by myself for 40 mins or so. I have discussed my depression and panic attack issues with the gym manager and he is very supportive, gives me space etc. 
  • Posted

Try clay sculpture. You can do it alone, at home, or in a class at a college or a private studio, where others would be around, but you'd actually be doing it on your own and the nice thing about clay sculpture,  you can do it any hour of the day or night and there is NO wrong in creativity! You can use paper clay that will air dry or you can use clay that has oil in it, it never drys, or you can use clay that has to be baked in a kiln. Then if you use clay that has been baked in a kiln, you can be creative and paint it any way you'd like. It's a great way to express yourself and what every you crate will be a great expression of feelings. You say you don't know what to create..well when I took classes at a university, my professor would give us a word and then we were to create with that word in mind. Words such as water, sun, building...etc. Let your mind wander and you will come up with an idea based on one word...For example with water you could sculpt a river bed. Or a fountain, or a cliff like structure where water would flow over it, or a plant that needs water, or an animal that needs to drink water...you see? You could do the same thing with paper and crayons or paper and paint or paper and markers. You could create a desert with any of these ideas. You could make a cake or layers of jello. Let you mind run and daydream.  You'll come up with something that is just right for your self expression. I think your Dr. has a great idea. More Dr.s should suggest this same thing.  
  • Posted

how about an art group. you don't need to talk but you are in the same room as others and can comment on their work etc to break the ice.

Richard

• Posted

Gardening or get yourself a small allotment? My father-in-law suffers from GAD and he really has improved since working on his allotment a year ago. It's hard work but very satisfying watching all your efforts grow into something that you can put on your table to enjoy! He grows all sorts now and nothing beats freshly picked veg and herbs for a tasty soup. There are others who work on adjacent plots but do keep to themselves. This gives you the choice of being with others whilst not having to engage with them if you are not having a 'social day'. There is also a chance to sell any excess produce, so could also be a small side earner too. 

Just a thought .....

• Posted

i try to go to sport centers it really scary but you get to meet alot of people and they help you to get better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.