Ideas for Care Package for Chiari Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

My best friend has to do an emergency surgery for her Chiari in the next two weeks. Does anyone have any advice to offer support? I would also like to prepare a care package for her after her surgery. I would truly appreciate any advice on items that were beneficial before or after the surgery that would make her recovery easier! Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My daughter had surgery a couple of years ago.  From what I remember, she couldn't look down for long periods of time, so watching T.V. was one of the things she would do a lot, I would suggest a dvd package of her favorite movies/tv shows.  Her next will be sore from the surgery for about a while, my daughter had one of those cone pillows.  Just visiting would be a nice thing to do, as she will be housebound for a couple of weeks for healing.  I hope her surgery goes well.

• Posted

Hi, I am getting prepared to undergo this surgery for chiari malformation and saw the care package idea. Could you describe a cone pillow? All I found was a pillow shaped as an ice cream cone. Is that what you're talking about or is it something different and how do you use it? Thank you

• Posted

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. So with this wedge pillow does the pointed part. Face your butt or shoulders? I'M 'll also see if I can find a picture on line. I think I want to try it once I've had my surgery. TY, have a great day

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I would get her an open front clothing/s (Pijama tops/any top/Front fastening bra) after surgery I felt for two months I would not be able to lift my arms and I felt really weeks on my neck and pain on the head for sometime.

Get her also a bottle warmer its nice to put it underneath the pillow case supporting the head and neck.

A bottle for putting the cold drink - make sure she drinks plenty of fluids.

Magnesium spray - its good to spray when/where/ever it suppose to be good to relieve pain.

Walking stick - is she still in a limbo (walking)

Tiger Balm from any chemist - its also good when you feel sik just rubbing it around your nose, neck and forehead.

Hand towel - so she can deep it into hot or cold water to dap it in her forehead.

Ginger pastilles (get it from any Numark chemist) its about £1 , I used to suck that when I felt really sick (ginger its good to redue the nousea)

Lovely lavender soap or any herbal soap of TK max..its smell delicious...

IF she can't drink direct from the glass - get her a bottle with a straw (Pound Land sell it for £1)Its summer soon, she will be so sensitive - sun glasses if she has not got one - sandal so she an walk freely in the garden. 

Hands & Body lotions as my skin became very dry and also so sensitive - I bought coconut oil from a health shop to rub each night in to my head (mostly the stiching part-after the stiched being removed)

I think that is all I can tell you...I hope others will response to you..but ask her to be patiencce the first 2 months was hell for me.

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestions. Could you take a bath or is it necessary to shower instead for awhile. I am thinking of a hand rail in my shower/ tub?
    • Posted

Yes, I did have a bath, but then washed my hair after a week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.