Ideas for self help with BPPV

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello,

Have just come back from dioctor who has signed me off for a month because of my continuing vertigo which he says is BPPV. (have has symptoms since November). Being signed off for such a lenght of time has, I have to say, taken the wind out of my sails a bit.  When I aked if there was anything I could do to help with the symptoms he said to continue the exercises I was given following Epley treatment and continue taking the medication (Stemitol). Otherwise nothing but wait it out. I've had a CT scan and have been referred for physio and to an audilogist but I was just wondering if anyone out there has found ways that seemed to alliviate their symptoms or are happy to share their ways of coping. I find I'm able to do very litte at the moment without feeling dizzy and cannot walk at a normal pace or operate at a normal level for everyday activities. Sometimes I get dizzy even just sitting.

Thanks in advance smile

0 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try not to take stemitil or anything all it does is stop you from compensating
  • Posted

Haven't had vertigo in awhile - woke up with it in spades on Sunday morning.  Did my exercises and immediately went to sleep for a few hours.  The only thing that I can figure is that on Saturday I finally felt well enough to scrub my bathroom which was a lot of bending over (holding on to stuff but still bending over) - maybe I shook something loose.  That's all I can figure.  It is so disappointing when you finally start feeling half-way decent and then vertigo rears it's ugly head again.  And stay hydrated.
    • Posted

Also, caffeine dehydrates me so I stay away from that.
    • Posted

Yes Kathie i am the same, any jobs that entail a lot of bobbing up and down. Back and forth, especially the bathroom!, make me worse. Not Just at the time, but the mxt day or,so,too.  i clean on Sundays andspend  Monday doing very little.
    • Posted

This is what I'm inding, I have a 'good' day so try and lead a normallife then suor it the next few sad
    • Posted

I can salsa simpathises and relate to what you are saying. I find that I can have a reasonable good day and decide that the next day I am going to do something and wham it hits me again. I have a theory that on a good day you whizz about because you feel so good and want to do things while the good time lasts or you look so forward to doing something that it's like an exciting feeling that puts you into a panic mode that will then hit me and put me into unsteady, no balance and staggering about fo about 2 hours.  I try to work through it but it is very hard staggering about at home hanging on the walls and furniture. One of the other things that can help in doing breathing exercises and doing a body scan. Look it up. It takes a little practice but it dose help.
    • Posted

"Staggering about at home hanging on the walls and furniture" - I know exactly how you feel. BPPV is gone but I am still left with the imbalance. Yes, I have to hang onto the walls and furniture too, to help me not fall. That's why, when I walk outside, I find that using a walking stick helps. One of those things hikers use, not a cane. I often wonder if people think I am drunk! I don't have good and bad days - they are all the same with this.
    • Posted

Dee I also have a walking stick (in addition to my canes) and I find it gives me better balance.  I think it makes me stand straighter or something.  I find the weather pressure makes a difference - on a rainy or foggy day I'm worse.  What is weird to me is that there are so many of us struggling but I seem to be the only person everyone I know has ever seen with this problem.
    • Posted

I think,overall Kathie we are all in the same position when it comes to being the only one amongst our  friends,,families,,acqaintances  etc to have this problem.  Its just its here where we all come together eh?
    • Posted

I use crutches for help with my back so they definitely help with the balance. I also worry what people think, my son says  "what dose it matter what people think mum if it helps you to do things and be you then breath deep, focus on something and keep walking".        It is very good advice and I know it's the way to go but it is hard to do.
    • Posted

Oh I don't care if people think I need a cane, it's that acquaintences might think I'm drunk! (hic)

• Posted

Yes, one PT said I walk "in the fetal position!" probably so as not to fall over, so using a cane relieves the strain on my back and lets me relax a little while walking.
  • Posted

I don't want to worry you but I have been of work now since middle of October , they say it's bppv , and will go , having a scan on wed , also seeing my audiologist , I'm hoping that the therapy will help me , as work is getting impatient now , which is understandable x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.