Ideas for self help with BPPV

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello,

Have just come back from dioctor who has signed me off for a month because of my continuing vertigo which he says is BPPV. (have has symptoms since November). Being signed off for such a lenght of time has, I have to say, taken the wind out of my sails a bit.  When I aked if there was anything I could do to help with the symptoms he said to continue the exercises I was given following Epley treatment and continue taking the medication (Stemitol). Otherwise nothing but wait it out. I've had a CT scan and have been referred for physio and to an audilogist but I was just wondering if anyone out there has found ways that seemed to alliviate their symptoms or are happy to share their ways of coping. I find I'm able to do very litte at the moment without feeling dizzy and cannot walk at a normal pace or operate at a normal level for everyday activities. Sometimes I get dizzy even just sitting.

Thanks in advance smile

0 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My job is very physical , I work in a busy restaurant , and also we do B and B , so I start early , with breakfast , then do the rooms , it's a very busy place , and I just can't do it at moment , X 
    • Posted

At least at my job I can sit most of the time.  I wish you luck Gilly flower. 
    • Posted

I teach early years. The other week we had a situation and I got up quickly to run after a child without thinking and nearly fell. I'm my own health and safety hazard at the moment! 
  • Posted

Im watching your thread in hope of different ideas to aleviate the problems associated with having Bppv .... Im coming up to my 3rd year of being affected off and on with it ... Ive had a scan..ive had the treatment with ent and have the excersises to do , ive found that instead of sitting down after what i call an attack, i try to keep moving , ive tried everything ...i stopped smoking after being a smoker for 46yrs ...i no longer enjoy a drink cos thats how i feel nearly all the time 😊... I cut down on caffeine ... And here i am 3yrs after the first attack which i have to say was the worst..still looking for answers ...i feel for you no one seems to understand just how awful it is ...i wish you well and hope that you find some relief from it 
    • Posted

I know what you mean about drinking Mandy, that's how I explained it someone the other day. I can't even walk my dog at the moment but am going tart using a stick, I don't care what people say or think, Ijust want to ut. Haven't driven since before Christmas so feel a bit trapped at home which then gets me down a bit. But I will get there, will try keep moving like you say, see if it helps. It is hard as people look at you and most times you l;ook ok regardless how you feel, though  The Tribe (my children) can if I'm having a bad day by my eyes apparently! All the best to you.
    • Posted

Hi , know what you mean about people looking at you , they think you look ok , have no idea what you feel , but like you my husband and sons can tell by my eyes that I'm not ok , they look so tired all the time , 
    • Posted

What do they see in your eyes dose one eye flicker slightly and very fast ?
    • Posted

Have you been chcked for any of  the different kinds of Nystagmus.  iF not,or even if you have tbh, google it with  VEDA in search as you will get a good description n of the condition.
    • Posted

Apparently yes, they do flicker, my son says it's like it's darting all over the place, also they say tehy look quite blood shot at times.
    • Posted

Do you think that ur eyes don't work togrther for a brief time and this sets yor vertigo and balance into kaos
    • Posted

The ay i have   understood it Angie is that when the vestibular system goes awry as ours has done, the eyes take up a lot of the slack, for,obvious reasons,,to keep,us balanced, and they in themselves are having to make continuous  adjustments, so.will,probably suffer too. 
  • Posted

I have been off work since Aug. I had severe vertigo. Numbness in arms and hands, off balance, sore muscles the list goes on....and still off now with backache. had tests...Try magnesium. Seriously your count may be good but what is normal for one is not exactly the norm for another. I have been taking it for 3 months and am not dizzy anymore. you can google the difiency hope it helps/
    • Posted

Thanks, I will do that, I used to take magnesium and zinc when I suffered from really bad migranes years ago.
    • Posted

Since you have migraine (a neurological disease), have your doctors investigated to see if your vertigo (and head pain) is from that? Vestibular migraine can have vertigo during migraine episodes as well as between episodes. You may not be familiar with silent migraines, which skip the headache phase (third phase) of the migraine episode - many people think you have to have a headache during a migraine episode. Epley etc. won't help this vertigo since it is not caused by crystals in the ear.
    • Posted

I  haven't actually had a migrane for a couple of year now but I will mention them when I go back.
    • Posted

Migraine is a lifelong disease; it doesn't go away and there is no cure. You can have 24/7 migraines, a migraine once in a blue moon, or anywhere in between.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.