Ideas how to regain backward movement of arm

Posted , 6 users are following.

5 months after proximal fracture of humerus, I'm still working on ROM. The particularly tricky one is reaching back and up- such as needed to fasten bra. Any practical exercise tips from anyone who's  solved this problem would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Following this discussion with interest as I had ORIF on a fractured mid shaft humerus on 10 August and also still working on ROM. Been swimming, running and aerobics-ing to try and stretch the arm, as well as about 28 Physio sessions. ROM pretty good but I can't reach up to the same height with both hands-and as I only 5ft 2in there is a bunch of stuff above my head in the world lol. I can't do up the top of a dress zipper at the back or put my hand on my hip or put my hands back above my head straight if i am lying down. Been doing pulleys at the physio. Just over the whole thing, Physio is time consuming and painful and tho I am heap heap heaps better there just seems to be no end in sight!

• Posted

Exactly how I feel. If I look back to immediately post fracture ( end of May) the improvement is immense but as one thing improves, another problem develops. I had should dilatation about 4 weeks ago and was elated at the decrease in pain and improved movement. However, Physio then began to work on rotation and backward and up movement. The result has been agony in either the rotator cuff or head of biceps. I'm now at a loss whether to push through pain or admit defeat. Have found myself skipping some of the 4 times a day exercises as I am in such a quandary what to do. I'm not due back to Physio for a couple of weeks as she felt I was making such good progress! Seeing consultant in a week and suspect he's going to recommend keyhole op. Everyone I meet asks about my shoulder - it has taken over my life! 

Sorry you have reached a standstill. Have you tried pulling ( gently!) the arm back and up with a towel draped over the other shoulder?  Best wishes for some break through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.