Ideas re: swallowing pills and sleep meds

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi group, having a bit of a hard time swallowing my pills as of late. Any helpful tips? When I can get them down the “old fashioned way” I sometimes choke them up which is most uncomfortable and expensive!😐. Also, I am thinking my prescribed sleep meds I take at night are making my symptoms worse. I have been taking seraquil(sp) and klonopin(sp) very low doses. I can only seem to get 3 hours anyway so I think maybe I’ll try to sleep without.  Any help advice regarding swallows pills and sleep would be most appreciated. I’m crying a little bit as I write this as when I mentioned having some trouble swallowing my pills to my psychiatrist he seems to look at me with sustain, “what do you mean you are having a hard time swallowing the pills “? Then he told me to exercise more! Feeling just sad about it all today. Hope others are having a good day🖐

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris, Sorry no help at all re the sleeping pills, but the swelling issues I can empathise 100%. IF I have the option for soluble I take it. IF I have the option to cut the pills into tiny pieces and swallow 1 by 1 with mouthfuls of custard or yoghurt or even soft jelly/jello. IF I have the option to grind and stir through ice-cream I take it. I always discuss with any prescribing doctor options for small capsules or curable tablets. With over the counter stuff (Panadol, Tylenol etc) I choose "mini-caps" options. In short, with meds I become a baby. It can take me up to 30 mins to swallow a dose I have cut up to take with custard. IF this has not happened to someone they have zero idea of the issue and hence zero sympathy. Try my solutions, plus, try to relax when swallowing. It does help. A little bit. Jenny

• Posted

Hi Chris

You're having a rough time it seems. My only thought to add onto the pills post is something that was suggested a year or so ago here by folks talking about trying to swallow food. Some people reported that drinking a little warm water or other liquid before/between each tiny bite helped them.

This makes sense to me as I recall that it became impossible for my guy to drink cold water & milk, and he didn't gave Sjogren's. The cold seemed to make his throat spasm a bit. The esophagus is a muscle and muscles need to be warmed up for best performance.

On sleep: doesn't sound as tho your pills are working. That psychiatrist is a joke!

• Posted

Hi , cant help with sleeping pills (I average between 3 and 5.30 hours ..depending on whether I have slept 3 hours or 5 hours sleep I have had the previous night and I don't  take the prescribed amitriptyline )

?Re the swallowing ..I normally take room temperature water with tablets/capsules and if I take cold water  the tablets (even the tiniest ones) get stuck to my tongue. I take a mouthful of normal water pop the tabs in towards back of mouth  and tilt my head up..the tabs go to back of throat and I swallow; sometimes they stick in the esophagus....so I drink more water on top. Seems to work for me.

• Posted

A bite of bread will usually help push the pill down.
  • Posted

Following on from others -I have also had more luck with swallowing pills with something carbonated than flat. No idea why.
  • Posted

I hope you don't take this wrong but I think your psychiatrist is a boob. You need to go see a GI doctor. When you start having trouble swallowing your pills that you did not have a problem swallowing before it is definitely a sign of something wrong. I started having trouble swallowing my food and even water I would choke on and of course pills as well. I was also having a lot of stomach aches and bloating and that is what brought me to the GI doctor. And I was shocked when he asked me if I had trouble swallowing. It turns out it is a symptom of gastritis and gastroparesis so that's why I'm suggesting you go see a GI doctor. In the meantime I will give you a helpful hint about swallowing your pills. If you have any capsules to swallow instead of tilting your head back you want to tilt It forward because capsules float and so the capsule will float up towards the back of your throat when you tip your head down. When it comes to tablets which for me are my hardest. I just try to really throw my head back fast and hard and that usually does the trick. If one gets stuck in your throat and this happens to me frequently a piece of bread will push it down all the way.

As far as your sleeping problem goes you don't mention what you're taking to help you get to sleep. I personally had no luck at all on the normal sleep aids that are often prescribed. I am having a lot of luck taking trazodone 150 mg. I take that about 9:00 pm and it really helps me sleep. It is an antidepressant but a lot of psychiatrist will prescribe it as a sleep aid because it works so well that way. Good luck to you and I hope things work out for you. Keep me posted.

• Posted

I thank you all VERY much for your help! It’s a scary thing to have a hard time swallowing pills. I used to help my mom with this with applesauce etc. but she was 74 and I just turned 50. Again, thank you all so much!
  • Posted

I really understand how you feel re swallowing. I have SS over 20 years and that's my worst symptom. All my medication has to be liquid form where possible, otherwise I crush what isn't.What about swallowing food? That's a nightmare for me and most of my food has to be bland/blended.Unfortunately, there is no other way and I hardly eat out now. It can be frustrating at times but then I'm aware there are people worse off.......

• Posted

Thank you for understanding. It’s very scary when you are new to it! I really thank you for the response. It means a lot. I was so frustrated when I told my psychiatrist I had been having a hard time swallowing my pills and he looked at me like I was some crazy person with 4 heads. Like he never heard of such a thing before. What a boob as another poster surmised. I used to love water with lemon; now not so much?? I too, understand it could still be much worse, but still scary and difficult most times🖐

• Posted

There is a product called "Gloup" which is a lubricant made to help people take tablets.  Might help!

• Posted

Do you live in the US or are you in another country because I tried to find it on Amazon and they do not have it offered there and Amazon usually has everything. Lol So I guess my question is where do you get it?
    • Posted

I live in Australia and we can buy it over the counter at the chemist.  It seems to be made in Australia but there is a website where you can contact them and ask questions so they may be able to let you know whether it's stocked anywhere in the USA. 

Otherwise you might have to get it sent from Australia.

• Posted

I also live iN Australia but didn't know about Gloup. What does it taste like? Does it come under any other names?

• Posted

I Googled the name and it goes by the name of Slide. At least that's the only brand I saw. But Amazon does not carry it at least not in the US. I may do some more research and see if there is a brand that sells in the US.

• Posted

When I Googled it I came up with a brand name of Slide. Unfortunately I can't get it here in the states.

• Posted

If you don't find anything on Google, call several high-dollar nursing homes, ask for the supervising nurse of the highest care wing & ask if they have anything to help AKA & Parkinson's patients swallow pills.

Medicaid-only facilities won't be buying such a product so don't waste your time with them ,,, and that's where I'll end up if I am unfortunate to live long enough to need care.

• Posted

Ooh, auto-ruin struck again: ALS & Parkinson's patients.

Which reminds me: you might be able to get the Gloup/Slide (its European name, same company & probably same stuff) product from a Canadian site, especially a Quebec site.

• Posted

in Australia it's just Gloup.  No idea what it tastes like as I've never tried it.  I've seen it at lots of different chemists.

• Posted

Very interesting indeed. Have never heard of it here in Europe but will look into it. Found it on internet. Thanks for that as all my medication has to be liquid form or crushed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.