Idiopathic Itch

Posted , 6 users are following.

Dear reader,

This is a call out to Graves companions, isotretinoin takers, experts and medical professionals - I am experiencing an unbearable itch around my neck and upper back for 6 months now, and more importantly, much difficulty concentrating at work (financial analysis). My boss has informed me of my lack of problem solving skills three months into my probation (new job) and has asked if I would like to leave.

The itch is inconvenient because it occurs under warm, stuffy, crowded, undue stress, and mostly in poorly-aired environments - getting around and to work has been a problem. There are however no visible signs on the skin, only mild redness on the skin upon scratching but no raised bumps.

The itch started when I was on isotretinoin x 30 mg daily morning, more than halfway into the course. (I have been on a few courses of isotretinoin since 2009, with acne vulgaris reappearing despite completion of x10mg planned courses.) I have since stopped consumption of isotretinoin since 07 Jan 2014. The itch persisted, and not improving despite consuming cetirizine, telfast + prenisolone, and desloratadine.

A positive blood test was reported for hyperthyroidism when we were finding the possible cause of itch. The endocrine doctor has not identified the cause for the itch, and the only solution is to consume antihistamines at x03 daily. I will add here that it can be a 9 when the itch occurs (1 - 10, 10 being the most unbearable) - have sporadic suicidal thoughts but have learnt to fight from it, which is a good thing.

This is a summary of my records with some observations over the years. I attempt to document as much information as I can recall, without overstating unnecessary information.

--

Observation:

neck, back itch - 6 months to present

heat intolerance - 1 year to present

hand tremors - 2 years to present

fatigue - 6 years to present

trouble sleeping - 6 years to present

nervousness - 9 years to present

irritability - 9 years to present

-

frequent bowel mv - 2 months to present

weight loss (3kg) - 1 year to present

-

No goiter

No Graves ophthalmopathy

No voice changes

--

Blood Work - 17 Jan 2014

Haemoglobin Determin.11.95 L G/DL (N 14 - 18)

MCV 65.67 L FL (N 76 - 96)

MCH 20.11 L PG (N 27 - 32)

MCHC 30.63 L G/DL (N 32 - 36)

Lympho % 43.66% H (N 16 - 40)

Neutro % 42.53% L (N 48 - 80)

(not mentioned items in full blood count are within normal range)

-

Blood Work - 04 Mar 2014

Creatinine = 61.00 L umol/L (N 65 - 125)

TSH < 0.02="" l="" miu/l="" (n="" 0.45="" -="" 4.5)="" thyroxine,="" free="" (ft4)="32.00" hpmol/l="" (n="" 10="" -="" 23)="" -="" blood="" work="" -="" 14="" mar="" 2014="" tsh="" receptor="" ab="4.2" iu/l="" (normal="">< 1.0="" iu/l)="" t3,="" free="7.1" hpmol/l(reference="" interval="" 3.5="" -="" 6.0)="" thyroxine,="" free="26" h="" pmol/l="" (reference="" interval="" 8="" -="" 21)="" tsh="">< 0.01 l miu/l (reference interval 0.34 - 5.60)

-

ultrasound, thyroid - 14 mar 2014

the isthmus measures 0.1 cm.

the right lobe measures 5.2 x 2.1 x 1.3 cm.

the left lobe measures 5.2 x 2.3 x 1.2 cm.

the gland is normal in size and shape. it shows heterogeneous echogenicity but normal vascularity. few bilateral thyroid nodules are seen.

at the right upper pole there is a 0.3 x 0.3 x 0.1 cm hypoechoic nodule, no suspicious features.

at the left upper pole there is a 0.7 x 0.4 x 0.3 cm, hypoechoic nodule, no suspicious features.

at the left upper pole there is a 0.4 x 0.3 x 0.1 cm cystic nodule, no suspicious features.

comment

thyroid returns heterogeneous echogenicity (?thyroiditis?

multiple thyroid nodules are seen, these do not demonstrate any suspicious features.

--

my concerns are

(i) i heard carbimaole / ptu will cause itch when first consumed, how can i work on avoiding this?

(ii) is there a way to recover from the concentration/memory + alleviate the itch? if not does that mean i will have to find a way to work freelance at home? (humid country 0.79 with overpopulation 7301 px/km2)

would gladly hear your views and advise. cheers. 0.01="" l="" miu/l="" (reference="" interval="" 0.34="" -="" 5.60)="" -="" ultrasound,="" thyroid="" -="" 14="" mar="" 2014="" the="" isthmus="" measures="" 0.1="" cm.="" the="" right="" lobe="" measures="" 5.2="" x="" 2.1="" x="" 1.3="" cm.="" the="" left="" lobe="" measures="" 5.2="" x="" 2.3="" x="" 1.2="" cm.="" the="" gland="" is="" normal="" in="" size="" and="" shape.="" it="" shows="" heterogeneous="" echogenicity="" but="" normal="" vascularity.="" few="" bilateral="" thyroid="" nodules="" are="" seen.="" at="" the="" right="" upper="" pole="" there="" is="" a="" 0.3="" x="" 0.3="" x="" 0.1="" cm="" hypoechoic="" nodule,="" no="" suspicious="" features.="" at="" the="" left="" upper="" pole="" there="" is="" a="" 0.7="" x="" 0.4="" x="" 0.3="" cm,="" hypoechoic="" nodule,="" no="" suspicious="" features.="" at="" the="" left="" upper="" pole="" there="" is="" a="" 0.4="" x="" 0.3="" x="" 0.1="" cm="" cystic="" nodule,="" no="" suspicious="" features.="" comment="" thyroid="" returns="" heterogeneous="" echogenicity="" (?thyroiditis?="" multiple="" thyroid="" nodules="" are="" seen,="" these="" do="" not="" demonstrate="" any="" suspicious="" features.="" --="" my="" concerns="" are="" (i)="" i="" heard="" carbimaole="" ptu="" will="" cause="" itch="" when="" first="" consumed,="" how="" can="" i="" work="" on="" avoiding="" this?="" (ii)="" is="" there="" a="" way="" to="" recover="" from="" the="" concentration/memory="" +="" alleviate="" the="" itch?="" if="" not="" does="" that="" mean="" i="" will="" have="" to="" find="" a="" way="" to="" work="" freelance="" at="" home?="" (humid="" country="" 0.79="" with="" overpopulation="" 7301="" px/km2)="" would="" gladly="" hear="" your="" views="" and="" advise.="" cheers.="">

-

ultrasound, thyroid - 14 mar 2014

the isthmus measures 0.1 cm.

the right lobe measures 5.2 x 2.1 x 1.3 cm.

the left lobe measures 5.2 x 2.3 x 1.2 cm.

the gland is normal in size and shape. it shows heterogeneous echogenicity but normal vascularity. few bilateral thyroid nodules are seen.

at the right upper pole there is a 0.3 x 0.3 x 0.1 cm hypoechoic nodule, no suspicious features.

at the left upper pole there is a 0.7 x 0.4 x 0.3 cm, hypoechoic nodule, no suspicious features.

at the left upper pole there is a 0.4 x 0.3 x 0.1 cm cystic nodule, no suspicious features.

comment

thyroid returns heterogeneous echogenicity (?thyroiditis?

multiple thyroid nodules are seen, these do not demonstrate any suspicious features.

--

my concerns are

(i) i heard carbimaole / ptu will cause itch when first consumed, how can i work on avoiding this?

(ii) is there a way to recover from the concentration/memory + alleviate the itch? if not does that mean i will have to find a way to work freelance at home? (humid country 0.79 with overpopulation 7301 px/km2)

would gladly hear your views and advise. cheers. >

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have resolved that most doctors do not subscribe to the effectiveness of what they call "supplements". They dismiss the above reports listed, saying that such reports are in abundance, but do not prove the causality of the two items. I would not say on behalf of them, but from observation, they are highly inclined to deny effectiveness of other methods (Acetyl-L-cartinine, Ashwagandha) and treatment (Diet restricting from lectins and iodine-rich foods). I think the underlying motivation comes from suggesting that 2 tablets of methimazole can easily provide for the chemicals required equivalent to the amount of broccoli/collard greens can we take.

The doctors also did not like to know the fact that their observation during our treatment will be affected; that the effectiveness of the drugs they prescribe will be confused by supplements we take alongside them. (I would believe a workaround here should be to take the supplements in subsequent periods, after a good two - three weeks of methimazole only - this will help to identify if the methimazole alone is any better without the other methods / diet.

An update, I am prescribed Atarax for my itch conditionally, and carbimazole x 10mg in the morning daily for 18 months. I notice the itch abated substantially (still itches when in very stuffy conditions). The irony is that I took both drugs within a 24 hour period, i don't quite know which drug relieved the itch! Cheers and happy weekend.

• Posted

Atarax is an antihistamine drug prescribed specifically to relieve itches. As far as doctors not trusting supplements, there was a valid research study conducted by an endocrinologist in Italy (Dr. Salvatore Benvenga) that demonstrated that patients with hyperthyroidism benefit from taking L-Carnitine. It is just that doctors in North America are not aware of it.

Also, after being on Methimazole for 2 years, my TSH remained at less than 0.01. After starting regular L-Carnitine, it rose to 0.05. After starting Acetyl-L-carnitine it rose to 0.78 then fell again when I could no longer obtain it for a year. My current endo has seen the blood results I get when I take it (TSH 1.4, 2.4) and the decrease when I don't take it. That is pretty convincing, I would think to anyone who has any common sense. So there is medical research backing this up and blood results that demonstrate its effectiveness.

• Posted

To clarify, I had to take the L-carnitines along with Methimazole. It is not either/or but both combined.
    • Posted

Hi Linda, Fern12 and RossF,

Sorry I haven't been able to get back since. I would like to thank each and everyone of you here for your comment and support. Knowing there are people who understand you helps immensely; that you are not alone. This is good enough to feel hopeful for better things to come.

I am almost done with my Chinese Medication and Acupuncture treatment window, which was adviced by a friend. The treatment has helped in lowering the frequency of the itch/pain which I believe relates to improving the root cause (be it urticaria or dry skin). The treatment appears to improve spleen and stomach functioning, which makes a lot of sense now considering possible relation to the immunodeficiency.

I hope you will be tolerant with me as I am deliberating to take Acetyl-L-Carnitine (I am investigating why my endocrine doctor kept emphasising the fact that Acetyl-L-Carnitine is merely an amino acid)

This leads me to share another recent instance: a friend who has been feeling agitated, heaty, and acne-prone told me about her experience with raw honey for the past 18 months that she consumes a teaspoon daily. My readings suggests that honey introduces enzymes to enhance digestion. I have yet to see the similarities of amino acids to digestion, but will document the consumption (together with carbimazole/methimazole) when I start after the chinese treatment.

Not sure if this is unnecessary, but I am considering to take the C-reactive protein and et cetera tests to check for inflammation and, what fern12 suggest, bone loss and/or relating to celiac disease.

• Posted

Accupuncture works brilliantly for me -I have a pins and Reiki session monthly and it really helps, but it isn't for everyone.  My wife has had accupuncture and had no result at all - she said she just lies on the couch thinking about the next shopping list - for me its cleared carpel tunnel, gount and seems to help greatly in keeping my system stable without a thyroid. ( I have no idea how it works on carpel tunnel but the effect was absolutely dramatic and immediate ! )

I'm a trained spiritual healer, so biased, but if natural remedies work for you, thats wonderful, but do remember that despite what alternative therapists say, an awful lot of time and money has gone into conventional medecine, so don't ignore it.  Personally I am happy to mix 'n match and cherry pick the best of everything.

Good luck!

Ross

• Posted

The L-Carnitine is an amino acid that is normally found in the body.  In hyperthyroid patients, it gets depleted rapidly from the muscles due to the disease and replacing it helps with recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.