Idiopathic peripheral neuropathy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Still searching for something to try and help with the neuropathy in my feet and legs.  

Have been taking fish oil capsules for some time, but now thinking about trying Krill oil capsules instead.  Has anyone tried these and are they better than conventional fish oil?  I also take B12 supplement, but do wonder if too much of that could be harmful.

It is all so depressing as it is getting worse and all the doctors can offer are strong drugs with horrible side effectssad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't know how badly you are suffering but I could not manage without the meds. Having said that I have not suffered side effects

• Posted

My husband was given the usual drugs in this order; Gabapentin, Amitriptyline and then Pregabalin for nerve pain and he had some bad side effects from each one, especially the Pregabalin.  All he uses now is Capsaicin cream daily and takes codeine when pain is really bad.
  • Posted

Hi

​I started taking Vitamin B12 sub lingually and am convinced that it made things worse.

My ankles started to swell after one injection and the neuropathy worsened.

There are side effects with B12 and yet people go out and buy i hey willy nilly. I am now not takin anymore and will see if my neuropathy improves.

It may be the fillers and binders in them.

• Posted

I have taken loads of sublingual methycolbamin B12 because people recommend it so highly and say you cannot overdose on B12, any excess just gets flushed out of your body, but I do wonder.  I know B6 can cause problems if you have too much.  Think I will keep taking the fish oil, I suppose that is pretty harmless.
    • Posted

Hi again

Yes we are both onthe same wavelength on these matters.

Well you can become overdosed or suffer with side effects on B12.

.Whether it is the B12 or the binders or fillers contained within it I do not know.

Iknow that B6 carries a warning that too much can cause spasms.

​I read that Biotin  capsules that contain coconut oil and silica can help in Peripheral Neuropathy. It is said that we need silica as it is an anti oxudant that the body already makes but in PN we ned more to dampen down the nerve damage.

Good gut heealth is said to play a part in PN. There is a hospital where two Professors have won prizes for their  work in the Gluten syndrome and Gluten ataxia.

​I read that turmeric ​-capsules or food stuffs,  garlic are all anti inflammatory  agents.

​Gabapentin and Pregabelin have had a very bad press . They are anti epileptic drugs that are being used less and less and suddenly been discovered to help in Peripheral Neuropathy!

• Posted

I have tried everything!!

The only thing that has helped me is gabapentine

I take 1000 mg spread out over the course of the day

With no side effects

Neuropathy is very painfull and I couldn't feel my feet and was losing my balance

So I had to stop all the homeopathic prouducts

And go to the doctors

It was a miracle for me

Good luck in your search it's a true battle!!

• Posted

It certainly is. What suits one does not suit another.
  • Posted

Have you had an E M G done on your legs and feet?

Have you had an M R I done on your legs and feet ?

I've had 7 back surgeries spanning about 20 years ! I have no more back pain now !

But, the back surgeries has caused neuropathy pain in my feet and toes and was soo intense, I was crying all the time !

I went to a foot surgeon and he operated on my leg, foot and ankle! the nerves were compressed that it restricted the blood flow to my feet and toes !

He made incisions on my leg, 2 right in back of my toes and on my ankle !

He toldme when he got into these 3 places, the nerves were soo compressed, so he decompressed them and my pain level is about 40 to 50 % better !

I might have the other foot and toes operated on later ?

I'd advise you to go see a doctor, if you haven't already and have those tests and see what your doctor can do for you !

Good luck!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.