Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Diagnosis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Recently my grandad has been told he may have Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. He is bad at explaining things and reacts very extremely to anything that may insinuate he may die soon. As a result he's been very hard to get information out of as to whether he was diagnosed with this or was simply told he may have it.

From the information we could get, he has had an X-ray scan, which indicated some scarring on his lungs. He's also got a cough and cold. My grandad is in his high 60's in terms of age. He also does not smoke.

We suspect his cough may have come from the cold that was going around the house quite recently. Therefore I think that they have concluded a false conclusion based on this.

As Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis is firstly, poorly understood. Secondly, the discovery/results of the scar was only made quite recently, therefore I think it was due to this close discovery, and him developing this cough (Which seems likely to have been the cold going around the house) that made them conclude it was this.

It's also stated a CP scan is needed for formal diagnosis? And he hasn't had one of those, so does that mean this wasn't a diagnosis? Since we are still unsure whether it was a diagnosis or not, since accurate communication with my grandad is quite hard at this time.

So does this seem like he may have Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis? Or is it something else? And how severe is a scarring on the lung? How would this scar effect him, if at all?

Thank you for taking your time to assist.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am sorry to hear about your grandfather.  I have heard of IPF and know of several online who suffer from this.  But as this is a COPD site which is different you might be better or googling an IPF site rather than this one.  

I belong to British Lung Foundation as well and this covers all lung problems and there are some on there with this.  

bev x

• Posted

hi i am sorry to here about your grandfather .i to have ipf and the an mri scan should give the dr a good idear to where your grandad father has it or the only other way to know for sure is a biopsy .which i had done three years ago . also if your drs clinic do a pulmarny rehab clinic that last for 12 weeks is a goodway oh how to deal with ipf and to no the warning signs ans how to deal with these thing .hope this as help  
  • Posted

I had a Cat scan and the doctor had no doubt that it is Pulmonary Fibrosis I am also late 60'  No wonder your grandfather is not talking. Its said that it is fatal in 5 years with no chance of recorvery. But there are 2 drugs that are said to help -ofev and one that begins with p?  Whole website on PF

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.