Idk if this is the right place for this, please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

In 2012, I hit my head.

Let’s back up

Found out I had Chiari 1 Malformation and Syringomyelia

1998(13 y. o.) I had Chiari Decompression surgery to relieve Syringomyelia (that didn’t work) so, in 1999 I had a VP shunt placed (that worked).

I was fine before (stiff neck and scoliosis) and after the three surgeries. I lived a “normal” life. I had two jobs and went to school and partied on the weekends.

On my 28th Birthday, I hit my head on the floor and the next day I was slurring my speech.

I have been getting worse since 2012!

Currently, I am just laying on my bed or sometimes sitting on the couch in the living room (to watch TV), because I have fallen a lot and don’t want to fall anymore.

So, if anybody has a similar situations or any stories, let me know? I will most likely just be here laying on my bed, waiting.

Thanks for reading,

Justin

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Justin

I have waiting for my operation.

I have 11mm chiari, 40cm syrinx but almost zero symptoms. BECAUSE I MOVE, MOVE, MOVE ...

I didn't move 2 weeks I lost half of my power I couldn't open a bottle.

I am sure there are some exercise to help you seek for it.

If you sit and wait things only get worse

Wish you all the best

• Posted

Thanks for replying Mesilim

I know, I’m not just sitting around. I wish I knew how many mm I was descended, before and after hitting my head, to see if that is the problem, but we’ll never know, now. Still curious though. 

• Posted

When you hit your head on the floor, could that have resulted in a concussion? And could you be suffering from post-concussion syndrome (PCS)? Depends on what symptoms you have been experiencing, but there are a 'constellation of symptoms' associated with PCS, and it can go on for a long time in about 15% of people.

• Posted

I know, I thought about that,  some symptoms are the same and some, like “no balance“ are not.  So, I ruled the possibility of that out, but I will look into it more. Thanks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.