If a person has an enlarged prostrate is it hard for a surgeon to do Bladder surgery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am an enlarged prostate. I haven't been taking drugs for it so I'm sure is obstructing the bladder neck quite a lot. I am scheduled to have bladder surgery soon. The surgeon will be passing the instruments through my urethra past bladder neck and into the bladder during this trans-urethral bladder resection procedure.

Is it possible at the surgeon would have difficulty passing the instruments into the bladder if I have a very enlarged prostate at the time of surgery? Also could the surgeon abort the bladder surgery because have a very enlarged prostate during the passage of instruments into the bladder?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Johnny.  Funny I was just thinking about you.  The surgeon should have no problem going through the prostate to get to the bladder to get the lesions out.  You just have to remind him you want nothing else done.  Just the lesions out. They will just move it to one side.  Good luck  Ken Did you try the pill they gave you to see if it will help you.   
  • Posted

Hey Johnny.  Funny I was just thinking about you.  The surgeon should have no problem going through the prostate to get to the bladder to get the lesions out.  You just have to remind him you want nothing else done.  Just the lesions out. They will just move it to one side.  Good luck  Ken Did you try the pill they gave you to see if it will help you.   Also if you don't trust him have him go through the top to get to the bladder  

• Posted

I have had two TURBT (removal of bladder tumors) and the doctor didn't indicate any issues getting into the bladder.  After the first surgery, the tumor was determined to be cancerous so I underwent 6 BCG treatments which consisted of injecting a chemo solution into the bladder via the urethra.  Again no problems.  I felt just a slight pressure when the catheter was inserted.

• Posted

Hi Lee, thanks! The surgeon said that I have to very small lesions less than 5 mm. He seemed to indicate it would only take a few minutes to remove during surgery. I assume and hope he is correct. He also said that my prostate was obstructing the bladder neck bit. That's why I asked this question and was a bit concerned.

Johnny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.