If and when to have TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello  I have already posted on the general arthritis forum.  Only found this one by chance.  Quick story I am 67 female and have had knee OA for well over 20 years.  I also have OA in the spine and neck and according to my latest hospital visit in the hips but not so bad at the moment.  My knees are the worst though.  The consultant said I have OA all over which I already knew and I will need TNR both knees.  He seemed to be putting me off by saying that it is a really painful op and that I should only consider it if I find my quality of life is unacceptable (not quite there yet).  He also said 1 in 10 surgeries don't work and they are not as successful as hips and you can sitll get some pain in the long term.  I wondered what everyone thinks about this.  How did you decide when to go ahead with surgery.  I also wonder whether he thought that I would not cope with the surgery because of my other arthritic problems.  I also have a few other health problems and am on various medication.  I

can't tolerate most painkillers just paracetamol.  On the other forum members have suggested femopam and gaberpentin. (hope I've spelt them right).

I am going to ask my gp. My other question is about referred and radiating pain.  As I understand it oa in knee causes knee pain.  Yes I do have alot of knee pain, but what gets me down is pain outer side of leg a few inches each side of the left knee, low back pain and pain down below knee to ankle.  As said I can ony take paracetamol and also pernaton cream to rub on.  I have trouble working out what is causing what pain.  Anyone else have this problem.  I am overweight and have lost 1 stone but still a couple to go.  I find that often the pain starts when lying in bed if on my left side seems beter on the right.  Thanks for reading this.

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Iout f you have problems with painkillers, I don;t know what to say aboout gabapentin ( or however it is spelled. . can't remember now)  I took it for nerve problems, not pain, and it affected me a lot. . made me turn into a different person.  Everyone is different, and you may not be affected, but both my husband and I were, gabbling nonsense and hyperactive . . . but maybe that is not a common reaction.  If you have bad arthritis also in your shoulders, remember that walking with crtutches to begin with is also hard on that joint. . I have considerable pain in both of them now from the effort . . both shoulders operated on in the past, and they were good before the op.  I'm overweight too, and people often say that's why I have the knee problems, but it doesn't account for the shoulders does it!  People are very quick to put blame on you for things which are often not your fault!  No easy options  At seven weeks I'm beginning to feel it was worth it.  If you had asked me three weeks ago I would have said NO. 
    • Posted

Sorry, cursor jumped and made nonsense of the first sentence!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I have noticed my neck and shouldersdo sometimes ache more after walking with a stick so yes I would be concerned about using crutches after surgery and.the effect on other already painful joints. I am trying to lose. More weight as well not easy if you can't. Exercise enough. As my consultant said I am noy yet ready for surgery but think I might be in the next year or so.
  • Posted

Hi Libralady, it's 4 weeks today since my TKR, and it wasn't nearly as painful as I expected. Like you, I can only take paracetamol but I've not really lost any sleep or suffered too much discomfort. Just remember to take them regularly over the first few weeks and don't wait until you're in pain. I'm 65, have OA in both knees, and my surgeon said that the longer I waited, the worse I'd get, and the harder it would be to recover. Luckily, I'm fairly slim, which I know is a huge help, so it's a good idea to take some time to lose as much weight as you can. And tell your friends and family not to tempt you to indulge - it's just too important.

Also, I did about 3 months pre-op physio at a hydrotherapy pool, which is the only way to go when you're in pain with OA. I went twice a week to build up my thigh muscles and work on my balance and I really believe it paid off. I left hospital 5 days ofter the op, and 7 days after that, I was 'walking' without crutches. (It felt more like a stagger!) It wasn't all plain sailing, but each day i amaze myself by my steady progress.

Today, my husband drove us to the park so I could walk with him & our dog. I used a Nordic walking pole on the hilly bits, but I managed to walk for over half an hour! And when we got home, I walked up our 17 stairs normally for the first time in years. Yes, I held onto the stair-rail, but I didn't have to drag myself up like before the op.

As for your low back pain, it could be because of the way you have to hold yourself, and maybe when you get in & out of chairs, you might be either twisting your back or putting too much pressure on it. Definitely talk to your GP, but also try a physio if you can - they sometimes have just the answer. The pain in my knees seemed to move around a bit, sometimes behind, sometimes at the side, sometimes down my leg, but I also had a Baker's cyst which had to be drained during surgery.

I hope I've helped somewhat, and as so many others have said, everyone's different, and we all recover at a different pace, Try not to worry too much, tend to all your other concerns, and then go for it!

• Posted

I there.   I am about 13 weeks post op from my right kne TKR.  I am 62, with bad OA, and a little overweight.  The first 6 weeks were great and pretty much textbook recovery.  I had 3 weeks of in home physical therapy and then 3 weeks of out patient therapy.  At 6 weeks my surgeon announced that I was fine, could stop PT, and wouldn't need to see him again for a year.  Since that visit I stopped PT, and exercised by walking the dog about a mile daily, peddling the stationary bike for 10-15 minutes every day, and doing all the household chores (live in a tri-level home).  During the last couple of weeks I have had some swelling and discomfort in the knee.  Not sure why and it isn't bad enough to see the doc.  Would I do it again - yes.  It's been a hard road of recovery, lots of work, but compared to how the knee was before, it is a relief.

Oh, my brother just had BOTH knees replaced at the same time.  The day after surgery he was tolerating pain by only taking Tylenol.  He went home after 5 days in hospital/therapy.  He is now 4 weeks post op and doing fantastic.  At 3 weeks he was driving himself to PT, church, errands, etc.  He is walking well and peddling a stationary bike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.