If I have been on citalopram for 3 years will increasing show improvement faster?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Pretty much summed up in the title but I know I can expect side effects from increasing doses but I was wondering am I likely to show some improvement faster than the 4 week Mark since it's been in my system 3 years already?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm increasing because after 6 months 30 isn't cutting it anymore I've been a demotivated anxious mess. The typical hot and hold sweats problems sleeping always being on edge not being able to focus you know the whole deal lol.

• Posted

Hi Kain

ive was a lot of your posts and I'm starting to think that maybe citalopram isn't for you.  

Have you felt at all better in the last 3 years? I guess you moved up to 30 about 6 months ago, any improvement then?  If so, I would try 40 and give it some time again.  If no improvement then, I would see your doc and maybe try something else.  You obviously have to give these meds time to work but in your case you have done exactly that. Bit of a tough one to answer to be honest and I sometimes think doctors pretty much know nothing either! 

With me, it took 3 months to feel fairly normal again but had to increase to 30 four weeks ago, same horrid side effects but they cleared off within a couple of weeks.

good luck with what you decide to do, this illness is a proper pain in the butt! X

• Posted

Wow thank you for your response Debbie I really appreciate it. Actually the whole time I've been on citalopram was great my first year I lost my brother and sister unfourtantly but I held it together very well.

Around the year and a half Mark I started slipping backwards my anxiety was full blown ans I was terrified so I upped to 20mg and after a few weeks felt great again.

Then maybe a year later it hit me again I tried to hold out on 20 but I increased to 30 and got back to normal. Now unfourtantly here we are again rolleyes.

This time my doctor wanted me to go up to 40 but kind of abruptly changed her mind and after 4 days said I see no improvement go back to 30.

• Posted

She prescribed me 2mg of klonopin Dailey after I said I didn't feel any difference from 1mg daily and I still don't feel any benefits but I don't want to suddenly stop taking it. My doctor said if I didn't stabilize by the time she got back from vacation it was time to try Prozac but after posting on here and talking to a pharmacist who said it was worth a shot giving 40 it's full trial run I'm going to try it.

• Posted

Hi Kain. This is a tough one!!! So the cit obviously works for you but for some reason you appear to over power it, for want of a better explanation!!! Personally I would go for the 40 too. I would at least try for a few weeks as you have done so well before. However, I am in the UK and they won't let us take any more than 40 as far as I'm aware so that might be your last increase. I wouldn't change to Prozac until you've given the 40 a good few weeks x

• Posted

Thanks a lot Debbie and yes in the US the limit is 40 as well. So I'll give it it's fair run instead of 4 days like my doctors suggestion lol.

• Posted

You're welcome. See how it goes for a few weeks. It might be hard going but just go with it and see how you feel. Like I say, it took another 3 weeks from being increased to start to feel better. Post any time, if I can help, I will x

• Posted

Hi Debbie, How are you getting on with your dose increase. I'm on a real low at the moment and think I may need to go up to 30 mg.

Have you felt any benefit yet from it. x

• Posted

Hi Anna.

Sorry, I've only just seen this post!

Im good now, felt pretty much normal for about 4 weeks.  I get the odd pang of anxiety but it disappears within seconds. I can deal with that!!!

its taken 3 months to get here and a, hoping it will last but I still have that worry that it will come back again. I think, because it was so awful, it will take time for me to accept I will be ok!! 

How long have you been on it now? X

• Posted

Trust me Debbie I've been on it for years and trust me 3 months your still healing adjusting and learning it only gets better from here.

The best part of the medicine in my opinion is once you've adjusted you can start to address and sort out your underlying stress factors if that makes any sense.

I know my posts lately have sounded frantic and scared but it's because I fell back into old bad habits and let the panic and depression take over. Im feeling much better right now and I just want you to know that it will never come back if you truly dont want it to. find strength in the fact you lived through the worst of it and it can never beat you again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.