If I increase to 75mg or 100mg, can I go back down to 50mg easily?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

I've been on 50mg of Sertraline for about 6 months now, and had reasonable improvement with it - however, it's evident that I need to increase to ideally 100mg, however the side effects of the 8 weeks on 50mg before feeling improvement were hard to cope with. I was lucky that I was able to take some time off, but I'm freelance and can't afford to do that again.

I wondered therefore if I was to increase to 75mg or 100mg, and I started to feel unbearable side effects, is it easy enough to go back down to 50mg without causing any issues? What do you think?

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've taken zoloft for the last 6 years successfully. Just restarted it 3 weeks ago and it's been hard. I'm on day 5 of increasing to 75mg and it has made things worse. Increased anxiety, low mood are the main effects I'm feeling. I really don't know about reducing your dose from an increase. I would think going up and down on the med wouldn't be good for your brain chemistry. If you need an increase, which sounds like you do since you've been on 50mg for 6 months, I would just tough out the increase until it balanced out. I know increases are scary, I'm in the middle of one now and it is hard. Good Luck with whatever decision you make!!

• Posted

increase and when the time is right for you in your life and you feel you don't need the sertraline anymore speak to your doctor and they will lower the dose over a period of time

• Posted

HI did anyone get side effects of bad sweating and dreams, thanks 25mg

• Posted

HI did anyone get side effects of bad sweating and dreams, thanks 25mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.