If I reduce dose, will sexual side effects be reduced?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all, I have been taking citalopram for one month now, started at 20 mg for about 3 weeks now on 40 mg. The sexual side effects from it are definitely not helping with my relationship. I can still get an erection, but achieving orgasm can be a struggle. The medicine is definitely working, I feel much better since I had my panic attacks, so it's a real bummer to have the sexual effects, especially because I have had no other side effects.  Should I try reducing the dose to remedy the side effect? Will that help or as long as I am on it at any dose the side effect will be present?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes sometimes there can be problems, talk to your GP regarding this and possibly there could be away around it.

If you are having CBT you could ask your CPN and they will also have suggestions

BOB

• Posted

Hi Brian that side of things will get better once your body gets used to the medication it's a side effect but only temporary lol

• Posted

I discontinued this medication because of this. Ogasm was terrible and privates just lost sensitivity. It took two months for things to correct itself but even now I would say I'm at 90%. I've healed myself naturally without being chemically castrated.

• Posted

Well done Alex I've only been on them 3 weeks but it's only a short term for me

• Posted

Brian. I would have to say that is a side effect. And also going from 20 to 40 mg's in 3 weeks is def moving really fast. I'm not an expert by any means though. I'm kinda suprised that I'm the only one who has mentioned this!!!!!!

• Posted

I was going to mention it too John.  That's pretty rapid to be going straight to the maximum dose.

Re sexual side effects Brian, yes this is a side effect of the meds unfortunately and indeed it could help with a reduced dose.  I'd first of all concentrate getting yourself better before worrying about that.

Reducing can also give you withdrawl effects too, so just let the meds settle first and maybe concentrate on getting better before worrying about that.  Do speak to your doctor though about your concerns and reducing when your'e ready.

• Posted

I thought it might have been quick too but that's what my doctor had me do. You're probably right, I should just let the medication start working at least before I get all frustrated about the side effect

• Posted

Brian. Miss K knows what she's talking about when it comes to these meds. She has helped so many of us in here and we're all greatful to her for that. She will help you---count on it. And hang in there. You will get better

• Posted

Hi Brian,

I had this problem as well. I am married so I try to have sex before I take the meds. I am also on 40mg. I take 20 in the morning and 20 at night. Early morning sex works best...lol

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your advice! Maybe I will try doing it that way as well.

• Posted

Tom. I read in here that you should not split ur dose of Cit. Not an expert but I guess if it works for you then keep on going I guess. Lol. Have a giod one

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.