If I tell my psychiatrist I feel suicidal and she decides to send me to hospital, will I be restrain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suicidal thoughts and I am afraid to tell my psychiatrist. I am afraid because if she does decide to send me to the hospital, I heard that I will be handcuffed by a cop or have my hands and feet tied to the gurney if it's an ambulance during transportation, even if I don't fight and I accept to go voluntarily.

Is this true? I am afraid to tell her in case of this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for I don't know anything about that but meditation really helps and reading and getting out being active really does help. Sorry again for the lack of info.
  • Posted

Here is a 'potted' version of what can happen.

The Police can arrest anyone under the Public Order Act of 1986 if a person's behaviour becomes dangerous in such a way that there is the risk they will either harm themselves, another person or property.

The power of arrest carries with it the implicit right for a police officer to use 'reasonable force' should it be necessary, which includes the right to use handcuffs should they be thought necessary.

Most police officers faced with this situation would prefer to use their power to issue an 'Official Caution', or a 'Conditional Caution' if at all possible, so as to avoid confrontation or harm to anyone. 

Under the Mental Health Act 1983 - Sections 2, 3, 4 & 5 you do have the right to  appeal if you are detained against your will in a Secure Establishment for reasons of your personal health and safety or the safety of others, and under this Act you can be subjected to certain medical treatment  against your will, but only in certain ways, for example people can no longer be subjected to ECT against their will.

For you to be detained in this way an application for admission to hospital under a Section 2 must be made by an Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP), and such an order can usually only be enforced for 28 days (but as stated previously a patient can appeal, or an appeal can be launched by anyone on their behalf).

You need to read-up on this if you are in any doubt.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

What I didn't say but should have, is that what I have said above is according to British legislation and not American law.

If you live in the USA, then maybe there are different rules and regulations that you will have to investigate for yourself.

• Posted

From your mention of a gurney, I guess you are in the US. I'm in the UK so I don't know the exact procedure, but I'm pretty certain that no one would handcuff you or tie you up if you weren't struggling or in immediate danger of harming yourself or others. So if you go voluntarily and IF the psychiatrist thinks it necessary, I don't think you need to worry about restraint being used. You do need to tell the psychiatrist about your suicidal thought, and ask her advice. I hope you get the help you need. Pixie.
  • Posted

No that not true call ur psychiatrist and get in to him em appt.and then tell him...then he will admit you pls dont do it..I suffer every day every minute of my life also...God is bigget and he is always there. ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.