If it helps just one other person; CBD ointment

Posted , 5 users are following.

My mother has suffered from trigeminal neuralgia (TN) for nearly 40 years. She is now 89. She had the microvascular decompression procedure in Pittsburgh in 1993, which left her pain-free for only eight months, and in 2009 she had the gamma knife procedure at the University of Kentucky Medical Center. The latter procedure lessened the pain and frequency of her attacks for a few years. Because she has been symptomatic for most of the time she has had TN, she has has had to use/try numerous medications - gabapentin, Lyrica, Tegretol, and finally Baclofen. The Baclofen was effective for a number of years but in recent years it has left her nearly lifeless when she's had to take it during an attack. We, meaning her children and her caregiver, had begun giving her only 1/4 of a pill at a time because of the debilitating effects of the medicine. Of course, this meant that her pain was not as controlled as it could have been.

In desperation, my brother brought up the idea to try CBD. I was skeptical, but I consulted the local Palliative Care of Hospice, my mother's medical provider (she was eligible due to having early dementia). The Palliative Care nurse noted that they have had some success with CBD that is available in ointment form, (though with other forms of pain and not TN). I purchased the CBD ointment and the next time my mother had TN pain, the caregiver took a small amount of ointment and rubbed it in thoroughly on my mother's face where she was having pain. Upon being asked about 30 minutes later, my mother reported that she was feeling a bit better. Within two hours she had gotten up from bed. whereas with the Baclofen she was so fatigued all the time that she spent whole days in bed. Mom has had five subsequent attacks of pain in the last several weeks and the CBD ointment was effective each time She has not had to take to her bed with TN since beginning the CBD, and has been free of the Baclofen. There have been no noticeable side effects.

I don't know whether CBD ointment will be effective for anyone else, given my Mom's history of surgeries, different medications, age, etc. But I am posting this in hopes that it will help someone else who has the debilitating pain of TN.

And be assured that this is NOT a plug for any CBD product. That is why I did not mention the brand that we have used for my Mom.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It has helped me also, I have suffered for 5 yrs. and 2 MVD surgeries. I has been a miracle for me I am 56 yrs. Thanks for sharing.0

• Posted

You're welcome, and thank you. Wonderful! to hear the it has helped others with TN.

• Posted

thats really helpful , please could

you private messgae me the link as to the product you buy as were not allowed to advertise here ! i get horrid attacks in my face and partictulary around my eyes and eyelids which is so painful and makes me feel depressed and miserable . thank you x

• Posted

Can you please let me know as well (private msg). I was diagnosed about a month ago by GP and neurologist i went to told me i do not have a condition for him to treat me. I ended up with the sever headache like migraine, which that neurologist was treating and ignoring all my question about face pain!! I only recently found out that the headaches given by TN sometimes can mimic migraines! I have a constant burning aching pain that does not stop but changes to stubbing, electric shocking pain going thru cheekbone - eye - temple - head. Sometimes goes into the upper lip.. So horrible and so tired. My face is asymmetric. My GP cant prescribe more than gabapentin. it is going to be a while until i see the different neurologist.

At this point i am looking for any suggestions/recommendations etc, as this is a new to me and i am learning how to deal with it as my pain may never go away.

Thanks

• Posted

I'm so glad that your mother is having some relief after such suffering. My mother had T.N for many years but this amazingly gave her very little trouble after her dementia diagnosis. I also have had T.N. for over 20 years and have had various procedures all of which have helped for a few months only. I am grateful for any suggestion which might help but, in common with many sufferers, would be unable to touch the area of the attack and would consequently would be unable to use an ointment.. However your comments are very much appreciated and I'll certainly look at other forms of CBD

• Posted

Thank you for replying. We worried about applying the topical as well but surprisingly Mom has not complained about the application to her face. I hope another form of CBD will help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.