If my pancreatitis flare up is mild, should I still go to the hospital

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. It happened last august and the pain was unbearable. I'm having similar pain now but not nearly as severe. Do I still have to spend time in the hospital?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That depends on how elevated your numbers come back. I think if you go back to the hospital, they'll take all the necessary tests and start by taking blook. You could possibly be admitted until those numbers come back down. Was there anything that set it off? Alcohol or very fatty foods? I know with mine, I can set it off if my diet goes off track but the pain subides in 24/48 hours. 

I think we all know when it's time to head to the hospital. You certainly sound like you're having a pancreatic episode. Maybe a call to your doctor as a start might be a good idea. 

Keep us posted and I hope you feel better sooner, than later. 

Glenn

• Posted

Thank you for your quick response Glenn. I had a family member pass last week and so we drank. I didn't feel it then but yesterday I did have thick Greek yogurt so I think the alcohol made it more sensitive and the combination with a fatty substance set me off. I made it through the night, however I'm still in pain. I may end up going to the hospital.

• Posted

I think that's a good idea.. I think a quick blood draw to check your numbers, especially the amylase will tell them if you're having a pancreatitis. 

I know how difficult it is to stay away from alcohol, especially in times of grief, but take care of yourself and know that alcohol is deadly when it comes to dealing with chronic pancreatitis. With that said, I am sorry for your loss.

Stay safe and be well - keep us posted if you find out anything further or it all just subsides.

• Posted

celeste...I had a mild flare up last month brought on by alcohol consumption. I was in a lot of discomfort but not necessarily pain. I rode it out for 4 days then it went away. It was my first re-occurence in 20 years. Scared the crap out of me. Glenn is right. Alcohol will be the killer. I struggle with it myself. If the pain gets too bad I would say go to the hospital. Do you have a fever or diarreha?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.