if not a sarcoma what could it be - petrified

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All 

around 2 months ago i noticed that i had a very hard smalll lump in the fat at the top of my thigh. skin around the are also feels like it has lines in it sort of like deep ridges. you coudl say that i was lsightly overwight! 

i gernally am well but doctors today have said that he will refer to me to sarcoma clinic and also an ultra sound within 2 weeks 

the lump has not grown and only felt if i am lying or sititng it is under the skin. i do have groin discomfort though which came and went over a 2 year period . i am 39 year old male. i have recently trained hard for lonodn marathon so have suffered alot of chaffing! which is one of the reasons that i felt the lump as had bit of dicsomfort. 

i sought reassurance from the doctor about whatthis could be howver he just said he didnt want to comment = all that i remember is that he said that could be sarcoma. if not sarcoma what else does this sound like

it is painless, hard and very small 

i was only looking for reassurance of what else this may be 

i am very scared - have 2 young children and am completely lost and terrified 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Quite innocent and benign fatty lumps can occur under the skin. I have lived with one on the abdomen and one on the thigh for many years. Your doctor has  been cautious enough to refer you and soon, so try not to worry meanwhile. 
  • Posted

I'm a 44 year old male. I found a hard little nodule in my groin area last year and it proved to be exactly what broadsword just mentioned; a benign fatty lump. Your GP has done the right thing by referring you and being cautious. I don't blame him for not giving you possible diagnoses, his job isn't to guess, his job is to investigate and make a sound diagnosis.

I'm sure that he thought by referring you he was reassuring you. Even if it is something nasty, excising it would probably be a fairly simple matter and would be done under local anaesthetic.

My advice would be don't start trying to make a diagnosis yourself using Google.

It is more than likely something completely benign.

• Posted

I do appreciate your support. Just completely shocked and scared at the same time.

Ultra sound is soon but do they diagnose fatty lumps from a ultra sound?

How do fatty lumps occur? It being hard is what concerned me

• Posted

My blood test came back fine today. No indicators of anything. Hopefully scan will be the same

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.